SWINDON Town have confirmed the departure of head coach Luke Williams this afternoon.

The County Ground club released a short statement revealing that Williams, who signed a five-year contract only last year, had left his position "with immediate effect'', several hours after news of his exit first broke

The statement made no mention of coach Ross Embleton's future, although the Swindon Advertiser understands that he too has left the club.

The club also insisted the search for a new boss was "well under way.''

Williams, 35, is believed to have met owner Lee Power this week to discuss the club’s future following their relegation from League One this term.

The Town statement said: "Following our relegation to the Sky Bet League Two, reviews have taken place and, as a result, the football club and Luke Williams have mutually agreed to go their separate ways.

"We would like to wish Luke the very best of luck for the future.

"The club would also like to confirm that the search for a new candidate to take the club forward is well underway and we will issue a further update in due course.''

Former Brighton and Hove Albion U21s manager Williams first joined the County Ground outfit in 2013 as he worked as number two to Mark Cooper.

Following Cooper’s sacking in October 2015, Williams worked as head coach to Martin Ling before taking over responsibility for the team after Ling’s resignation in the December of the same year.

That season, Williams managed to keep Town afloat in League One, however, he was unable to repeat the feat this term with their drop into the basement division of the Football League confirmed the week before the season ended.

Officially, Williams was in charge for 75 matches, winning just 20 of them although director of football Tim Sherwood is understood to have been in charge of team selection and tactics for a number of fixtures following his arrival in November.

The head coach insisted he wouldn't walk away from the club following the conclusion of the dismal League One campaign after last Sunday's 3-0 defeat at Charlton Athletic, leaving the decision over his future in the hands of chairman Power.