CARLISLE United manager Keith Curle believes Swindon Town were lucky to claim all three points in their first game of the League Two season.

Curle, who watched his side slip to a narrow 2-1 defeat at Brunton Park, thinks Town were fortunate not to have their first goal disallowed for offside.

Luke Norris was the man who sent Swindon into the lead when he headed home shortly after the half hour mark, only to injure himself in the process.

Debutant Paul Mullin then made it two just after the break when he slotted a rebound past the Carlisle keeper Jack Bonham, after he could only parry John Goddard’s effort from distance.

The hosts found a way back into the game when Joyce notched 10 minutes after the restart, but it was too little too late as they finished the game empty handed.

“Obviously we are in the results industry and we got beaten, we got off to a slow start and there was a bit of anticipation creeping in,” said Curle.

“We tried to feel our way into the game. I haven’t seen the goal but I thought it was offside, it gave them (Swindon) a lift and something to defend.

“It was a stupid mistake for the second goal, which we will learn from, good endeavour meant we got a goal back but Swindon were there to get beaten.

“We had five chances which we couldn’t put past the goalkeeper, but we didn’t have any clear-cut chances.”

Mike Jones was guilty of loose touch in the second half which led to Mullin’s goal, and the Carlisle chief thinks his troops need to iron out the mistakes as soon as possible.

“Everyone makes mistakes, whether you are in the Premier League or playing Internationally but we learn from them very quickly and move on,” he added.

“You don’t win or lose a season on the first game, there are bits and pieces I still think we can improve on and I think there are plenty of positives.

“We are absolutely gutted because we didn’t get outplayed, we gifted them the second goal and I think the first one was offside.”

David Flitcroft has the perfect chance to gain momentum on Tuesday evening when he takes his side to Championship outfit Norwich City in the first round of the League Cup.