FORMER Town striker James Collins caught the eye for new club Luton Town on Saturday as he fired a hat-trick on debut as the Hatters thrashed Yeovil 8-2 at Kenilworth Road.

Otis Khan's free-kick gave Yeovil an early lead, but Luton hit back through Olly Lee, Collins and Alan McCormack before Isaac Vassell struck twice in as many minutes to put his side 5-1 ahead.

Marek Stech then saved Khan's penalty and Collins helped himself to two more after the break before Francois Zoko headed Yeovil's second.

Elliott Lee added Luton's eighth in the ninth minute of time added on.

Forest Green were denied victory in their first Football League fixture after letting slip a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 at home against Barnet.

The National League play-off winners led 2-0 at half time thanks to Christian Doidge's double, but Barnet hit back in the second half through Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro and Jamal Campbell-Ryce before having Jack Taylor sent off in the closing stages.

Lincoln marked their first Football League game in six years with a 2-2 draw at Wycombe.

Wycombe scored twice in three minutes shortly before half time through Luke O'Nien and Joe Jacobson, after Matt Green had given Lincoln the lead, but Josh Ginnelly fired the Imps level soon after the restart.

Accrington made a winning start by beating Colchester 3-1 at home.

Kayden Jackson and Billy Kee gave Accrington a 2-0 half-time lead and Omar Beckles added a third before Sammie Szmodics scored a late consolation.

Grimsby won 3-1 at Chesterfield, where both sides ended the game with 10 men.

Nathan Clarke and Sam Jones gave Grimsby a two-goal lead at half time and after Kristian Dennis had pulled one back for Chesterfield, Ben Davies struck again for the Mariners from the penalty spot, with Ian Evatt getting his marching orders. Grimsby's Zak Mills received a second yellow card three minutes later.

Jodi Jones' hat-trick secured Coventry a 3-0 home win against Notts County.

Jones opened the scoring after kick-off had been delayed by 10 minutes due to lightning and torrential rain at the Ricoh Arena and scored twice more in the closing stages.

Port Vale ran out comfortable 3-1 winners at Harry Kewell's Crawley.

Michael Tonge's early free-kick and Antony Kay's header put Vale in control and although Enzio Boldewijn reduced the arrears, Dan Turner headed the visitors' third.

Promotion favourites Mansfield twice came from behind to earn a 2-2 draw at Crewe. Chris Porter gave Crewe the lead on both occasions, but his strikes were cancelled out by Danny Rose and then David Mirfin.

Reuben Reid's early goal secured Exeter a 1-0 home win against Cambridge.

Reid's third-minute penalty, after Jake Carroll had handled, was saved by Cambridge goalkeeper David Forde, but the Exeter striker still scored League Two's opening goal of the season two minutes later.

Garry Thompson's stoppage-time effort clinched Morecambe a 2-1 home win against Cheltenham.

Mohamed Eisa fired Cheltenham in front, but Thompson equalised early in the second period and fired the winner in the first minute of time added on.

Shawn McClousky struck in stoppage time to earn Newport a 3-3 draw at Stevenage.

Stevenage led through Tom Pett and although Frank Nouble levelled, Dale Gorman converted a penalty for the home side, after Scot Bennett's foul on Luke Wilkinson, and Danny Newton added a third.

But Mickey Demetriou smashed home Newport's second and McClousky levelled in the fourth minute of time added on.