DAVID Flitcroft was left frustrated at a late lapse after his Swindon Town side saw a point snatched from their grasp in a dramatic 2-1 defeat at Cheltenham Town this afternoon.

Town looked on course to make it 13 points from six games on the road in League Two this term when the clock ticked past the 90-minute mark at Whaddon Road.

However, they were cruelly denied with virtually the last kick of the match as Danny Wright rifled home from close range in the fourth minute of stoppage time after the visitors failed to deal with a free-kick into the box.

With Town having recovered from a goal down to draw level as well as goalkeeper Reice Charles-Cook saving a Wright penalty with the score at 1-1, it made the manner of Swindon’s loss all the more painful for Flitcroft.

“To get back in the game and start taking the game to them and have a few chances and look more on the front foot, to get done by the goal we have done is disappointing,” said Flitcroft.

“I have talked before about earning a point and respecting a point and that is really important at any level. In the 93rd minute, we don’t win the header and we don’t win the second one or the third one even.

“We have talked to the players about set-pieces and we have been good at set-pieces. I think that might be the first or second goal we have conceded from a set-piece.

“At that stage of the game, it is about someone taking control and dominating that ball into the box and having that discipline.

“In the last 10 minutes, I think we have away five or six free-kicks, which you can’t do. You have to stay on your feet, defend properly and don’t allow that ball into the box and we got that wrong today.”

Town were lacklustre in the first half at Whaddon Road and trailed to Brian Graham’s opener after 20 minutes.

Flitcroft was able to fire up his troops at the break and they needed just eight second-half minutes to draw level through Matt Preston’s header.

When Charles-Cook then saved Wright’s spot-kick with 25 minutes to go, it seemed that would give Swindon the impetus to go on and secure all three points, but in the end, they had to make the short trip home with nothing to show for their efforts.

“In the first half we seemed a little bit flat. In our forward and attacking presence, we just didn’t have that aggression in the last third that we have been showing,” said Flitcroft.

“I was disappointed with the first half but in the second half, I thought we had an energy to the performance, a real drive to the performance and took the game to them and had some good opportunities.

“In the second half, it felt more like a local derby and that was why I was so disappointed at half-time, to not have that energy and have a force.”