DEFENDER Matt Preston came to the rescue as his late header saw Swindon Town claim a 1-0 victory over Wycombe Wanderers in Southern Group C of the Checkatrade Trophy.

David Flitcroft opted to make seven changes to the starting XI who claimed an impressive 3-0 win away at Port Vale on Saturday.

Defender Kyle Knoyle was handed a debut at right-back, while Chris Robertson partnered Preston in the heart of defence, alongside Ellis Iandolo who came into the side at left-back.

Derby County loanees Kellan Gordon and Timi Elsnik also got the nod, with the former getting his first Town goal over Vale at the weekend, while the latter had returned from a groin injury in Staffordshire.

Striker Kaiyne Woolery was also restored to the team, as was Paul Mullin, while second year scholar Joe Romanski was named on the bench.

The game got off to a dreary start at the Energy Check County Ground, with neither side able to get a meaningful shot on goal or get a real grip of the game.

Town looked as if they had managed to slip Mullin in goal-side eight minutes in, when Elsnik slid in a well weighted ball to the former Morecambe man, only for his path to goal to be blocked by the Wycombe defence.

In the 20th minute, good work from debutant Knoyle saw him play an enticing pass to James Dunne, who was handed the armband in Olly Lancashire’s absence, to run onto, but the midfielder was met by visiting left-back Joe Jacobson.

As a result, Dunne was beaten to the ball and the supporters’ penalty appeals were rightfully rejected by referee Kevin Johnson.

Two minutes later, Town registered their first shot on target as Mullin fired straight into the arms of Yves Ma-Kalambay from a free-kick.

Wycombe, who had both manager Gareth Ainsworth and 48-year-old goalkeeping coach Barry Richardson named among their substitutes, had their first effort on goal with 20 minutes of the half remaining.

Paris Cowan-Hall was able to ghost into the Town area and get a quick shot away, but the proved to be no concern to Reice Charles-Cook as it was well wide.

The half was ended without any minutes added on, in what was a pedestrian performance from both teams.

The second half was just five minutes old when Town had a decent chance to take the lead. Woolery used his pace well to break clear of the Wycombe backline.

However, the summer signing from Wigan Athletic was caught between having a shot or squaring it to an incoming Gordon, and ended up doing neither with the ball squirming wide, much to the exasperation of the home fans.

Gordon and Woolery combined once again for the hosts just before the hour mark, the Derby County loanee looked to release Woolery, who could only return the ball after losing his footing.

Moving forward, Gordon looked to shake his man by cutting onto his left-foot, but could only fire over from just inside the area.

Flitcroft was the first to make a change, as he brought on Harry Smith at the expense of Mullin with 59 minutes on the clock.

Smith almost had an instant impact after finding a pocket of space on the right of the opposition penalty area before hitting a thumping effort low and hard past the far post.

Gordon was the second down man to be hooked from the game, when Flitcroft introduced Goddard into the game in the 68th minute.

Moments later Keshi Anderson came up with an inventive effort as he looked to back heel the past Ma-Kalambay, and almost pulled it off before the ball spun wide of the mark.

Town were having the majority of possession but were lacking any goal threat as the game edged closer and closer to a penalty shootout.

The Wycombe keeper was tested again in the 72nd minute as Town substitute Goddard hit a tame shot from the edge of the area, which was comfortably caught by the former Chelsea stopper who dived down to his right.

Swindon made their third and final change with just over 15 minutes left to play, McDermott was the man to come on, with Elsnik making way.

Town then had two great chances to take the lead, the first fell to Smith when he caught Ma-Kamablay in no man’s land, only for his header to fall short of the line.

Then was then able to retrieve the clearance before the ball made its way to Goddard, who’s shot trickled just wide after beating his man with a smart nutmeg.

Town were well on top, as they had been for the entirety of the second half, and almost broke the deadlock in the 81st minute when McDermott’s free-kick was palmed away by the Wycombe keeper.

Swindon finally got their noses in front when McDermott’s searching free-kick from the right was met by the head of Preston who mad no mistake from close range in the 88th minute and seal Town's first win in this season's Checkatrade Trophy.