DAVID Flitcroft denied he was relieved to see Swindon Town rescue a late point at home to Chesterfield and saluted the “attitude and application’’ of his players as they dug out a late 2-2 draw at the County Ground.

Luke Norris struck with an injury-time penalty to ensure the spoils were shared with League Two’s bottom side, who had threatened to spring a shock result after taking the lead with under 20 minutes remaining.

Midfielder Tim Elsnik curled home the opener for Town two minutes after half-time but Kristian Dennis’ superb control and finish followed by a world-class strike from more than 35 yards by the Spireites’ Jak McCourt threatened to condemn Swindon to another home defeat.

Substitute Norris though was fouled by Scott Wiseman in the last of four minutes of injury time and, after a short delay as the two sets of players squared up to contest the decision, fired home to maintain his side’s recent unbeaten run.

Town had lost midfielder Amine Linganzi to injury within moments of kick-off before Harry Smith departed midway through the first period after receiving a nasty bump to the head as Town battle adversity to win a point.

“I’m not really relieved, no. There’s a bigger picture as us maybe winning or not,’’ said Flitcroft.

“We know it’s a results-based game and industry that we’re all in, I understand that, but I’m seeing improvement all the time in the group.

“Six weeks ago it’s a game we probably would have lost 2-1 but to keep asking questions in the last 15 minutes, the character and spirit that the group has grown in to, I’m very proud of the players and their attitude and application to each other.

“They can’t give each other any more. A few things have conspired (against us), Amine coming off and obviously Harry Smith.

“There’s a lot of things that I’m reflecting on, but nothing but pride with the way the team has dealt with going a goal up, then conceding a poor goal, then conceding a worldy goal like you wouldn’t believe, that lifts them.’’

Top scorer Norris marked his return with the crucial penalty and Flitcroft added: “They did everything to try and upset him and knock him out of his stride.

“Two or three players got booked during that action and Nozza’s calmness and the way he put the keeper the wrong way, I’ve nothing but pride in the courage the players have shown again this afternoon.

“We’re not going to see that (playing at the top of the game) every week. You don’t see Man Utd do it, you don’t see Chelsea do it. I think there is a myth round here that we are going to do that week in week out (but) I’m a realist, I’m not a fantasist.’’

Referee Lee Collins was a big talking point, frustrating home fans with a series of decision, including a seemingly-blatant first-half penalty which was not awarded when Kaiyne Woolery was prevented from reaching a loose ball by visiting keeper Joe Anyon.

“It can be a totally different game,’’ added the manager.

“ The fourth official was telling the referee that he’s holding Wools down and he’s not listened to him so for me a potential penalty and sending-off that we’ve not got.

“It (the game) had everything but it didn’t need to be so dramatic and chaotic for want of a better word.’’