BBC man 'relieved' as case dropped

Ted Beston had been arrested as part of Scotland Yard's Operation Yewtree investigation

Ted Beston had been arrested as part of Scotland Yard's Operation Yewtree investigation

First published in National News © by

Former BBC radio producer Ted Beston is "greatly relieved" that he will face no action after he was arrested by detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal, his solicitors said.

The ex-Radio 1 worker was arrested in December by detectives working on the national investigation prompted in the wake of claims of abuse by disgraced television presenter Savile.

It emerged on Tuesday that Mr Beston will not face charges because there is insufficient evidence.

His solicitors Ewings and Co released a statement in which he warned of the risk of "guilt by association" after his arrest.

The statement said: "Ted Beston is extremely relieved to note that officers from Operation Yewtree have informed him today that no charges will be brought against him. As an elderly man who has lost his wife and son in recent years, this has been a hugely distressing period and he is greatly relieved that his name has now been cleared.

"He was shocked and appalled by the revelations about Jimmy Savile but asks that all involved are mindful of the dangers of guilt by association. Having lived under siege he now asks that he be left alone."

Scotland Yard is leading the national investigation into alleged sexual offences, called Operation Yewtree. A number of high-profile figures have been arrested as part of the inquiry including former pop star Gary Glitter, DJ Dave Lee Travis, television presenter Rolf Harris and comedians Freddie Starr and Jim Davidson. All deny any wrongdoing.

The Metropolitan Police released a statement that said: "A man in his 70s who was arrested on December 19, 2012 on suspicion of sexual offences has today been informed that no further action will be taken by police. The investigation found that there was insufficient evidence to support a prosecution.

"The decision was made by the police that there was insufficient evidence to proceed. There was early investigative consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), but in accordance with the Director of Public Prosecution's guidance on charging, the police did not submit the case for full CPS advice to decide the outcome."

Scotland Yard has split the Yewtree investigation into three strands - allegations involving Savile, those involving Savile and others, and those involving others. Mr Beston, from London, was held under the "Savile and others" strand.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree