A JOGGER crushed between two cars in a crash caused by a Premiership footballer says he doesn't believe the player is sorry at all.

Winger Albert Jarrett, who was a Swindon Town player last season and who now plays for Watford, has been fined and disqualified from driving after a crash that crushed Edward Owen against a parked car.

Jarrett, who played six matches for Swindon on a loan from Brighton that ended in March, was driving his black Volkswagen Touareg through the Union Row, Belle Vue Road intersection in Old Town on January 31.when he failed to give way and hit a silver Porsche.

The two vehicles continued across Belle Vue Road and crushed Mr Owen, who was out jogging after work.

Mr Owen, an electrician from Barnsley, told the court he had spent weeks in hospital after the crash and was still receiving treatment.

He has not been able to work since the accident.

Jarrett, 22, who signed with Watford in the summer and appeared in one Premiership fixture against Bolton, told the court he was sorry Mr Owen had been hurt.

But he pleaded not guilty, arguing he had not been responsible for the crash.

Jarrett, who now lives in Old Kent Road, London, said the give way line at the end of Union Row was not clearly visible in the dark when the crash occurred.

Appearing in court without a solicitor, Jarrett said Mr Owen had been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Mr Owen said Jarrett had got the driving disqualification he deserved but did not believe the footballer was genuinely sorry.

"I didn't believe him one bit," Mr Owen said.

"In one breath he said sorry and in the other said it wasn't his fault."

Mr Owen had been working in Swindon for two months and had another week left in the town.

"I was just out for a jog after work," he said.

He was rushed to Great Western Hospital where he spent a week before being transferred to Barnsley.

After months of intense physiotherapy and surgery to replace ligaments in his left knee, Mr Owen hopes to finally return to work in February or March.

Jarrett told the court he had been driving to a match at County Ground when he hit the Porsche, which he said was going too fast along Albert Street.

He said Mr Owen had been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"The injuries came out of that and I feel bad about that,' he said.

"It was an accident and that's all. It wasn't dangerous driving or anything like that. It was a difficult junction."

Sitting in a panel with two magistrates, District Judge Martyn Cook fined Jarrett £1,200 and put six points on his licence and and a six-month driving ban.

He rejected Jarrett's argument that the Porsche driver had been going too fast.

Jarrett was also ordered to pay the court £200 in prosecution costs.