A WOMAN jumped on to the M4 from a bridge because she felt she had no future.

Sylvia Clark, 57, pictured, of Woodshaw Mead in Wootton Bassett died on June 14 after falling from the Hook overbridge .

She had climbed over the railings of the bridge and let go to fall in front of an oncoming lorry in an attempt to take her life.

At an inquest into her death at Gablecross police station yesterday attended by Ms Clark's two daughters Samantha and Michelle, the court heard that Ms Clark had suffered from bouts of depression for several years and had tried to take her life on two previous occasions, once with an overdose and in January 2005 she had jumped off the Hook overbridge in a similar way to the incident which took her life.

On that occasion she made a full recovery despite refusing medical treatment.

Michelle Keer, a community psychiatric nurse for the Avon Somerset and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership, who had been treating Ms Clark, saw her on the day she killed herself.

She said: "Sylvia was bright and generally socially active but when I saw her on June 14 she felt low, she said she had negative thoughts, she was unable to see a future for herself."

The inquest heard that a recent job application for work at a local library had not gone well.

Ms Keer arranged an appointment with a specialist to take place the next day, but there was no clue about what Ms Clark would do that evening and Ms Keer said that she saw no reason for her to be detained under the Mental Health Act.

Later that evening, Ms Clark left her home and walked the three miles to the bridge.

There she was seen by numerous drivers both on the motorway and on the Hook road.

Jason Lanchbury, from Highworth, was driving towards Bristol when he saw Ms Clark standing on the bridge.

In a statement read out in court, he described how as he got closer to the bridge he saw her begin to climb over the railings.

He pulled up on the hard shoulder of the westbound carriageway and began to call the police.

He said: "I picked up my mobile and dialled 999, as it began to ring she jumped off the bridge."

Mr Lanchbury ran across the motorway, over the central reservation and went to her side.

"She was still breathing and going in and out of consciousness and the paramedics told me to keep her talking."

A lorry driver parked his truck across two lanes to stop the traffic and emergency services arrived shortly after.

The air ambulance flew her to the Great Western Hospital but she died shortly afterwards.

Wiltshire coroner David Masters gave a verdict of suicide.