SMOKE detectors fitted in the wake of a fatal house fire in Manchester Road saved the lives of two people living nearby when a blaze broke out.

On January 12, a fire started in a kitchen in a Salisbury Street property at 3.16pm. But thanks to smoke alarms fitted following the November 6 blaze , the alarm was quickly raised and two people escaped uninjured.

The smoke alarms were installed by Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, as part of community engagement work to provide reassurance and wherever possible, fit smoke detectors, after a horrific house fire claimed the lives of two people in November.

Group manager Glyn Moody, deputy area commander for Swindon, said: “Because smoke alarms were fitted the fire was confined to the kitchen, we were alerted to it quickly and the people were able to get out safely

“We fitted the smoke alarms as part of community engagement to make properties in the area safer. “It is brilliant that because of this people have been saved from a fire.

“The fire in Manchester Road was a very distressing time for our team. Incidents like this are certainly not the norm and it really got to all of us. That is why the community engagement work is so important.

“Because of this another family is safe and that has boosted not only our spirits but that of the local community.”

In the immediate aftermath of the fire. Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue workers joined forces with Swindon Borough Council and Wiltshire Police to support local residents with fire safety advice. They made more than 400 Safe &Well visits, where homes were assessed for potential fire risks and experts provided advice on protecting properties.

The community engagement will continue in the coming weeks due to the positive reception it has generated.

Glyn said: “We’ve had support from the local community, residents, the council and the local mosque as well as businesses which we are very grateful for.”

Fire and rescue employees have spent time in the Manchester Road Hasrat Shahjal Al Mosque and Broadgreen Community Centre, to offer advice to concerned residents.

Last month, a baby was orphaned after her parents lost their fight for life following the fire in Manchester Road.

Brooke Alvares, 17 months, was with her mother Sharon, 30 and father Blaise, 33 when a fire ripped through their ground floor flat just before midnight on Sunday, November 6.

Sharon sadly died in hospital on November 9. Heartbreakingly, her beloved husband Blaise, who was in critical condition in hospital for more than a month died from his injuries on December 23 at the Morriston Hospital, Swansea. Brooke is still undergoing surgery in hospital and is in a stable condtion

For information on Safe and Well visits call 0800 038 2323 or visit