A WREATH layer collapsed at the Remembrance parade on Sunday, but luckily firefighters and an off-duty paramedic were on hand to assist.

The man, thought to be in his 50s, had just re-joined the line at the parade in Cricklade when he became light-headed during the special service at the war memorial in the town centre.

He then collapsed on the floor nearby and appeared to lose consciousness as members of the public rushed to help.

MPs, councillors, clergymen and other local dignitaries had been laying wreaths and bowing their heads during the solemn day to remember those lost in battle.

Cricklade Fire Station watch manager Pete Price and his team were thankfully on hand to help and provided medical assistance along with an off-duty paramedic.

“During the latter stages of the parade one of the wreath layers sat directly next to me had what appeared to be a severe drop in blood pressure”, he said.

Mr Price alerted his crew, asking them to bring oxygen masks and other life-saving equipment, before calling an ambulance.

“Fortunately none of that equipment was required,” he said.

Paediatric nursing student Sarah Frusher, 42, who also helped care for the man, said homeowners nearby brought out blankets, chairs and tea – ‘typical of great Cricklade community support’.

“As a nearly qualified nurse, it wasn't daunting,” she said.

“I find it rewarding to be able to help support my local community.”

Cricklade Fire Station posted to Facebook the next day (Nov 13): ‘Yesterday during our Remembrance parade the crew assisted with a medical emergency. We would like to thank the members of public and the off-duty paramedic for your help. Wishing a speedy recovery.’

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman Louise Knox said: “A man in his 50s was taken unwell and the crew looked after him and gave first aid to him.

“He may have passed out and paramedics attended.”

A spokesperson for the South Western Ambulance Service said they received a call at 11.10am to a male patient who ‘had a medical episode’, and attended with one rapid response vehicle where the man was treated at the scene.