HEARTFELT tributes have been paid to a runner who collapsed at Saturday’s Swindon Parkrun but later died.

Tracie McGrory was only 400m into the popular weekly run at Lydiard Park before suffering a medical episode.

It is understood two ambulances, a rapid response car and three police units attended the scene at around 9am but despite best efforts, Tracie later died at Great Western Hospital.

In a statement on Facebook, Tracie’s husband Brian said: “As some of you may already know we are sad to share the news that yesterday Tracie suddenly passed away she was loved by many of you and she will be dearly missed by us as a family.

“I will keep this Facebook site open a while to share details of any arrangements, thank you all so much for your support.”

The news was confirmed on Sunday afternoon by the organisers of Parkrun who have vowed to commemorate Tracie’s life by holding a minute’s silence at next Saturday’s run.

In a post, the organisers said: “It is with great sadness we have to inform you all that Swindon parkrunner, Tracie McGrory, passed away on Saturday morning.

“Many of you at Swindon Parkrun that day will know that a lady collapsed only 400 metres from the start line. She was immediately attended to by the parkrun community, volunteers, Lydiard Park Wardens, police officers and medical professionals as well as paramedics but sadly never recovered. Tracie passed away shortly after arriving at the Great Western Hospital surrounded by her husband and their two teenage daughters.

“Our thoughts are with Tracie’s family and friends at this very difficult time.

“We would like to thank each and every one of you for your support on Saturday morning. Many medically trained parkrunners stopped to help Tracie and other volunteers helped to divert the course so that the run could continue safely. Lydiard Park staff ensured that everyone at the scene received hot drinks, care and attention afterwards in the warmth of the Park Wardens Office. We can’t thank you enough.

“Tracie’s husband, Brian, would also like to thank everyone who tried to help her and has been touched by the support she was given on Saturday. He has said that she passed away doing something that she loved.”