POLICE have arrested a man on suspicion of arson following a blaze that gutted a family home in Pinehurst.

A bystander rescued a mother and daughter from the property in Beech Avenue in the early hours of Sunday.

One shocked neighbour said: “We woke up to the sound of fire engines and police and a lot of smoke.

“I’m just glad they’re all right. You’ve got to be a bit concerned.

“It’s very worrying. I have no idea why someone would do that.”

Eye witnesses reported seeing a supermarket worker, who was on his way to work, run in to the burning house and bring them out.

A 22-year-old man from the area was arrested and has since been released while the investigation is carried out.

A GoFundMe campaign was set up in the aftermath and had £100 in donations by the end of yesterday.

Organiser Jaycee’ann Louise wrote: “Mum and two daughters, the youngest aged 11, are now struggling and suffering due to loss of everything. All belongings, valuables, memories have now been ruined due to this horrific attack.”

She said money raised would be used to help them rebuilt their lives.

Neighbours told the Adver two men had been seen setting fire to a caravan parked outside the house. The blaze then spread to the house where the mum and her daughter were inside. A second daughter was thought to be away from the house on a sleepover at a friend’s house.

The fire was visible in nearby streets. A resident who lived in The Bungalows said: “We got woken up with the fire crackling and wondered what it was about and then saw the fire on the roof.

“I went to call the fire brigade but by the that time my husband already said he saw water coming over the house.”

A Wiltshire Fire Service spokeswoman said: “We were called to Beech Avenue at 4.53am on Sunday, where a caravan fire had spread to the first floor and roof of the adjacent semi-detached property. Four fire engines were mobilised, two from Stratton and one each from Swindon and Westlea, and the aerial appliance from Swindon was also sent.”

She said firefighters had to remove roof tiles to check the fire had not spread further. Although there was heat damage to the outside of the neighbouring property, firefighters were successful in preventing the fire from spreading inside.

“The occupants of the affected house were all quickly accounted for. One child was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.”

A police spokesman confirmed the fire was being investigated as arson with intent.