A man who led police on a high-speed car chase across town has been banned from the road and warned he is facing jail.

Leon Symonds, who has a long history of crime, initially pleaded not guilty to the charge and was due to face trial at Swindon Crown Court.

But before a jury could be sworn in the 32-year-old changed his plea to admit dangerous driving, having no insurance and failing to stop.

Prosecutors said they would not proceed with a count of driving while disqualified on the same occasion.

Symonds, who has more than 150 previous convictions, was banned until he passed an extended test when he was jailed for a similar offence in December 2015.

On the evening of Tuesday February 6 this year he was behind the wheel of a Vauxhall Astra which police tried to stop on Shrivenham Road.

The vehicle sped away through bus gates into the Greenbridge Retail Park and then headed down Drakes Way and on to Queens Drive.

After going through the New College estate at about 8pm the car headed round Walcot and the Parks estate at up to twice the limit.

The vehicle is then said to have gone across Buckhurst Fields with the lights turned off having already gone through red traffic signals.

It was found abandoned near flats soon after the chase and the defendant was arrested in a nearby flat where the keys to the vehicle were also found.

Symonds, of Latton Close, Penhill, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, no insurance and failing to stop.

Gavin Holme, defending, said his client has been using drugs since he was 16, starting with cannabis.

He moved on to class A drugs and has now reached the age where he realises he can’t carry on in the same way.

Judge Jason Taylor QC adjourned the case to Thursday October 25 so a pre-sentence report can be prepared.

He said “Sometimes dealing with a drug addiction takes multiple attempts.

"In the meantime I will grant you bail.

“You have pleaded guilty today. It is on the day of trial.

"You will get limited credit for that plea in due course so that will help you.”

Symonds got eight months for dangerous driving in December 2015 then in February 2016 got another eight months for a smash and grab at a supermarket.

And in 2010 he was jailed for two years after he was caught red handed burgling a funeral parlour in Cirencester.