A WARNING has been issued by the fire service to remind people to take care when lighting candles after an incident involving a bedroom fire in Swindon.

Fire crews were called to a home where a candle had been allowed to burn down inside a glass holder that had been put on top of a satellite television box.

It lead to the glass holder overheating and smashing.

Station manager Greg Izon said: “Fortunately, the occupier returned home before going to work, so discovered the fire and raised the alarm. As such, the damage was contained to the bedroom, but it could have been a lot worse.

“You should extinguish candles when you leave the room, always make sure none are still burning if you are leaving the house or going to sleep, and only ever use correct holders on solid surfaces.”

Wiltshire Fire Service has issued a warning in the wake of the incident and is advising people never to leave lit candles unattended, to put burning candles out when they leave the room, and to make sure they’re out completely at night.

Candles should be on a stable surface, out of the reach of pets and children and away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture, bedding and books. They should not be put on baths, televisions, set-top boxes or anything plastic.

Don’t move candles once they are lit, and don’t let them burn right down.

The emergency service offers free Safe & Well visits. Call free on 0800 038 2323. More home fire safety advice can be found at dwfire.org.uk/safety