A MOVING send-off to former Swindon Town manager Danny Williams was held the day after the 50th anniversary of the team’s League Cup win in 1969.

Club chaplain Revd Simon Stevenette led the service at Christ Church, Old Town, on Saturday with members of Danny’s family, former players and fans paying their respects to the man who led Town to a famous 3-1 triumph over Arsenal at Wembley Stadium.

The service heard from Dick Mattick, the club’s historian, about Danny’s contribution and dedication to the club over a career that spanned 20 years.

They also heard from Mark Isaacs, the chief operating officer of the club, who spoke on behalf of Danny’s family before several bible readings and further tributes were read out and those congregated listened to I Can’t Help Falling in Love with You by singer Andy Williams.

Town legend Don Rogers, who scored the two extra-time goals which clinched victory in the 1969 final, said: “It was a lovely service, it was a shame more people didn’t turn up because I think it was more moving than the funeral. It was nice to have a place to say a final farewell.”

Andrew Deuchar, 63, a Swindon Town supporter all his life, travelled from Wales to attend the service and remembered the League Cup win when he was 12.

He said: “He was a great man. It felt the right thing to do to come here, it was one of those occasions.

“I’m sure all Swindon fans of a certain age remember him. It’s difficult to describe just how exciting it was in 1969.”

Danny’s granddaughter Katrina Williams added: “It was really nice to hear all the memories and words from his friends, and the service was lovely.”

Danny, who died aged 94 in February, was manager of the club from 1965 to 1969. After 1974 he spent four more years as the Robins’ boss before becoming general manager in 1978, a role he filled until 1985.

Originally from a village near Rotherham, Danny worked as miner and played for Rotherham United, making 500 appearances on the pitch between 1945 and 1960.

As the Town players of today drew 0-0 with Port Vale on on a windy day at the County Ground, members of the 1969 squad once again held up the cup won at Wembley 50 years ago and said a final farewell to the man who led them to victory.