FIREFIGHTERS responding to reports of a fire in the open found that a recycling bin was its source.

One crew from Swindon fire station raced to the junction of Argyle Street and Cricklade Road at 9.39am yesterday

.They realised when they arrived that a bin had been to blame for the emergency call. and it had already been put out by the time they got to the scene a few minutes after the call.

A utilities cable was also damaged by the fire so the firefighters gave advice to nearby residents on Cricklade Road about fire safety and avoiding fire risks.

Earlier, a Stratton fire station crew responded to two calls about alarms sounding at a house on Bunce Road in Stratton St Margaret at 7.59pm on Friday evening.

When they arrived, they found that a small fire in a microwave had triggered the house's alarm.

The fire was out by the time they got there, despite arriving at the scene less than 10 minutes after receiving the first of the calls, but firefighters isolated the microwave just to be safe.