A MAN was attacked in a quiet Old Town park less than 500 metres from a primary school by a group of yobs armed with a Taser, metal pole, a knife and their fists.

Now, a 16-year-old has been sentenced for his part in the attack in April last year.

Swindon Youth Court heard that the group’s victim had driven to the play area off Quarry Road, near Town Gardens, in the early evening on April 15 after hearing from a friend about trouble in the park. The play area is a short distance from Lethbridge Primary School.

When he arrived, the man saw a group of four men getting out of another car. The young men appeared to be armed, said prosecutor Keith Ballinger. One, an older man believed to be in his 20s, was said to have been carrying a Taser. Another had a 50 inch silver pole in his hands while a third man was armed with a knife.

The man armed with the Taser shouted at the victim to “get on the f***ing floor”. Mr Ballinger said the aggressor “appeared very angry” and was still holding onto the electric stun gun.

“He didn’t get on the floor, fearing what would happen,” magistrates were told.

The man was struck to the back of the head and the group landed further blows. The victim did not know whether he was being punched or struck with weapons.

The 16-year-old mechanic, who appeared before Swindon Youth Court this week, was said to have punched the man on the nose. The victim eventually managed to run off.

The Swindon boy pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Defending, Mark Glendenning said his client had felt threatened by the man and had struck out with a single blow.

“He accepts that what he should have done with the benefit of hindsight was simply walk away,” Mr Glendenning added.

“This is a lad who made a mistake on that one day and hasn’t been in trouble since.”

The boy, currently an apprentice mechanic, told magistrates: “I feel like I got caught up in something I should never have got involved in at all. They’re still my friends, but I don’t associate with them as much.”

JPs sentenced the boy to a six month youth referral order and must pay £45 in costs and a £20 victim surcharge. Simon Wolfensohn, chairman of the bench, said: “This was, obviously, a very serious incident and it is unfortunate that you got yourself involved in it.”