A PAEDOPHILE has announced plans to launch a private prosecution against the boy he tried to rape three decades ago.

Former Swindon football coach Ronald Webb was convicted earlier this month of attempting to rape his 13-year-old player in 1986.

Yesterday, Bristol Crown Court heard Webb, now 75, had phoned a Wiltshire Police detective to announce his intention of bringing private charges against his victim – for allegedly making up the accusations.

Prosecuting, James Tucker said Det Sgt Adrian Bray had been called on July 8 by Webb: “He said he wished to set out a private prosecution against the victim.

“The sergeant was perhaps concerned the caller had mental health issues due to his odd conversation.

“Then he notes that what is alleged by the defendant, that, in effect, the victim has made a false allegation and that he would wish that person to be prosecuted.”

Webb is already on a night-time curfew until his sentencing hearing later this month. The crown applied to extend his bail conditions, with a requirement not to contact his victim either directly or indirectly.

Judge Peter Blair QC, Recorder of Bristol, made the variation.

This month, a Bristol jury took a little over 90 minutes to find Webb, now of Brook Road, Bath, guilty of attempted rape.

His victim was 13-years-old when the attack took place in the bathroom of Webb’s Winifred Street terrace in the summer of 1986.

The boy was one of a small number of fellow players who went to Webb’s home in their school lunchbreak. The coach had put on a pornographic film, leaving the boy feeling embarrassed. He had been relieving himself when Webb barged his way into the bathroom, forcing the boy up against the toilet and attempting to rape the teenager.

The young man was only able to escape when Webb was distracted by the shouts of his friends from outside. The victim told police that, had he not escaped, “I was in no doubt where his penis would have gone”.

Det Sgt Lawrence Billi of Wiltshire Police welcomed the guilty verdict: “We know that this kind of abuse has a huge impact on people, often it is something they carry with them throughout their lives and we should not underestimate the courage it takes to speak out and report these type of offences."

Webb, who did not appear in court yesterday morning, is expected to be sentenced on July 26.