A VIOLENT thug threatened to blow up the van of a man he had targeted in a terrifying attack in Tesco.

Perrie Shaw pulled 48-year-old victim Stuart Hindon out of a car, kicking and punching him to the head at least eight times outside Tesco Express in Freshbrook.

Mr Hindon fled inside the food store, followed by raging Shaw who continued to assault him in full view of a store CCTV camera.

Now, Shaw, of Whitwell Road, Watford, has been jailed for three years and six months after admitting causing GBH with intent and witness intimidation.

Sentencing 29-year-old Shaw, Recorder Richard Shepherd said his victim had fled to Tesco in the hope of sanctuary: “You continued to kick him and punch him and he sustained five fractured ribs and a really serious shoulder injury that kept him away from work for about three months.

“You will appreciate that the most serious part of this offence were the kicks to the head, because you know kicks to the head – when wearing footwear especially – kill people.”

Prosecuting, James Tucker said less than two months after the attack, on February 11, 2018, Shaw had pulled up alongside his victim’s van. Getting out with his arms outstretched, he began shouting and swearing at Mr Hindon. Shaw demanded his victim drop the charges, yelling: “I’ll blow your van up.” Mr Hindon remained in his vehicle.

In a victim personal statement read to the court, Mr Hindon said he was a self-employed painter and decorator and had suffered financially as a result of being off work with broken ribs and an injured shoulder. He added: “I’m an upstanding member of the community who harms no-one. I feel vulnerable and scared. I don’t want to get stabbed or killed. All I have is my dog and who would look after her? All I want is to be left alone.”

Defending, Rob Ross urged the court to follow the unusual recommendation of a probation report and make a three-year community order.

Mr Ross said his client had a young family, recognised he faced prison and had been working hard over recent months to save up money for his family should he be sent to custody.

“What we do know has happened with this defendant is in many ways he’s finally grown up,” Mr Ross said.

“He’s 29 years old and there comes a time in many people’s lives where they realist they’ve got to get a complete grip of themselves. They’ve got responsibilities, which he’s got now. “

Sentencing him to three years for the GBH and six months for witness intimidation Recorder Shepherd said: “I’m asked to take an exceptional course to impose a non-custodial sentence. I can’t do that in your case. Grievous bodily harm with intent of this nature is so serious you have to go to prison. But I have considered that very carefully indeed.”