A BANNED driver who led police on a 90mph chase was told he could have killed someone.

But Michael Kibble – described by his barrister as chastened – appeared to laugh as he walked from court after a judge gave the 24-year-old the opportunity to break the cycle of offending he found himself in.

High speed pursuit

Swindon Crown Court heard an officer in an unmarked patrol car had spotted Kibble’s Ford Focus driving along Snowberry Lane, Melksham, at around 8.45pm on July 15.

Earlier that day, Kibble and a friend had filled up fuel cans with diesel at a Devizes service station before leaving having made no attempt to pay.

Swindon Advertiser:

A still from police chase footage Picture: CPS WESSEX

PC Derek Buswell gave chase for two miles between Melksham to Semington. The pursuit lasted less than four minutes.

Kibble pushed his Ford Focus up to 90mph as he raced the wrong way around a roundabout, past at least one cyclist, parked cars – and Melksham police station.

The crash eventually ended shortly before 8.50pm when Kibble catapulted his car over a humpback canal bridge and into the side of a parked car. Officers found a small amount of cannabis in the car.

Prosecuting, Tessa Hingston said Kibble had previous convictions for dangerous driving and robbery: “He has never taken a test of any kind.”

Kibble, of Southwick, admitted dangerous driving, making off without paying for fuel, driving whilst disqualified and possession of cannabis.


Defending, Alex Daymond said the Ford Focus belonged to Kibble’s uncle. That day he had arranged to work on it with a mechanic friend in Melksham.

But the workmate had cried off at the last minute, leaving Kibble stuck for a ride home to Southwick.

READ MORE: Watch police footage of the high-speed chase through Melksham

Rather than get a bus, Kibble decided to drive his uncle’s car to Devizes, where together with another friend he filled up a number of containers with diesel – fully intending not to pay for the fuel.

It was on his way home that Kibble encountered the police car and panicked.

Mr Daymond said his client, with previous convictions for dangerous driving and robbery, showed signs of a fledgling criminal career. He had not had the benefit of rehabilitative work with the probation service.

“There is a danger in my submission sending him into custody again might not achieve anything,” Mr Daymond said, describing Kibble as having been chastened by the shock of the crash.

“It might achieve the opposite of what is intended. It may well keep him off the streets for a period of time, but no work will be done with him.”

Swindon Advertiser:

Michael Kibble outside Swindon Crown Court

'Last chance'

Kibble was sentenced to 16 months imprisonment suspended for two years, banned from driving for three years and ordered to complete 30 rehabilitation activity days and 200 hours of unpaid work. He must abide by a four-month curfew.

Judge Jason Taylor QC said: “I’m giving you this opportunity solely because I want you to break this cycle of offending and get you help with thinking [skills], which you need on so many levels.

“This will be your last chance.”

He added: “If any other vehicle had been coming over that bridge somebody would have died and that is why this is so serious.”