ONE person suffered smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a Gorse Hill garden.

A crew of firefighters from Swindon Fire Station raced to St Mary’s Grove at 8.02am after receiving calls about a fire in the area.

A Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Upon arrival, crews found one shed and section of fence at a private address well alight.

“Crews extinguished the fire using one hose reel jet and one 52mm main jet.

“One person was treated for smoke inhalation by the ambulance service.”

Crews from Swindon Fire Station and Westlea Fire Station responded to calls about a kitchen fire on Dixon Street in the town centre at 4.27pm on Monday.

The fire was out when the firefighters arrived at the scene. They used fans to clear the smoke from the property.