A ground floor bin store caught fire at a block of flats on Wordsworth Drive.

Crews from Swindon, Stratton and Westtlea fire stations were called to the fire at around 2.36pm this afternoon.

Eye witness John Ormesher, who lives in Derwent Drive, said: “I saw lots of firemen with their fire equipment going into the building.

“I was particularly concerned because it happened just as school was coming out.

“The fire and ambulance had difficulty getting through the traffic because there were cars parked on both sides of the road.”

The fire was extinguished by 3.10pm.