VANDALS have smashed up a football goal in a Royal Wootton Bassett play park.

One mum wants the yobs to be caught and says CCTV needs to be installed.

The woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, couldn’t believe anyone would go to such an effort to destroy the goal.

She told the Adver: “I go to this park regularly with my four-year-old son and, very annoyingly, we saw the goal had been completely vandalised and smashed up.

“There was a group of lads when we got there but I don’t know if they were the ones to break it.

“While we were there one of them did grab a pole and bring it into the playpark from the field.

“Little children like my son play in there so it could be quite dangerous.”

The mum said that this wasn’t the first time someone had ruined a part of the park.

She said: “The council recently installed a trampoline in the park.

“As soon as they opened it it was vandalised. It had been ripped out, which made it unsafe for anyone to use.

“But because there is no CCTV in the area the people who did it couldn’t be caught.

“Now it’s happened again I hope the council think about putting some cameras in place.

“It’s such a lovely area and a nice park that children enjoy going to. It’s important it isn’t ruined especially after Covid as families want to go there. It’s ridiculous that some people think it’s funny to do this but it’s not.”

Now people are being urged by Royal Wootton Bassett Town Council to not damage any of the seven play areas they have in the town.

Wootton Bassett mayor Nic Hughes said: “To ensure safety and prevent loss, town council grounds staff will work to remove any items of equipment brought into the play areas and left by residents.

“The council will communicate to residents that they should not bring and/or leave large items of personal play or fitness equipment into the town’s play areas.”

This incident was not reported to the police but officers have asked people to report any vandalism.

A spokeswoman said: “We’d encourage the public to report incidents of criminal damage to us via 101 or via our online crime reporting tool so that action can be taken.”