The widow of a Swindon man who died of asbestos-related cancer is appealing to his old workmates for help in establishing how he was exposed to the deadly material.

Andrew Butler, from Haydon Wick, died aged 74, just two months after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma - a cancer of the lining of the lung that is commonly linked to asbestos exposure.

Andrew started experiencing breathlessness in August last year. Following tests, he was diagnosed with mesothelioma in September and died in November.

He was a former bricklayer and builder and leaves behind two sons, Stuart and Duncan, two grandchildren Cooper and Brooke, and grieving widow Rose, 70, who talked about the effect the disease had on her husband. 

Swindon Advertiser: Andrew Butler when he was youngerAndrew Butler when he was younger

She said: “It was awful to see how the mesothelioma affected Andrew. He started to feel breathless and from there everything seemed to happen so quickly. Following his diagnosis, he deteriorated rapidly.

“Andrew was a wonderful husband and a loving and caring dad and granddad. He was never happier than when he was fishing, walking our dogs, staying at our caravan in Somerset and socialising with his friends at our local working men’s club.

“The impact of the cancer was horrendous. Life without Andrew just isn’t the same but I’m determined to ensure we get some answers.

“Andrew said he thought his work was the most likely way he would have been exposed to asbestos. I’d be grateful to anyone who might be able to come forward.”

Shortly before he died, Andrew and his family instructed specialist asbestos-related disease lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to help him gain answers about his illness.

Swindon Advertiser: A more recent picture of Andrew, taken before his deathA more recent picture of Andrew, taken before his death

They are now looking to hear from people who may have worked at either Stanley Walter Ltd between 1964 and 1972 or E W Beard Ltd between 1974 and 1983.

Irwin Mitchell's specialist asbestos lawyer Alexandra Lausen, said: “Before his death, Andrew told us how he believed he had been exposed to asbestos during his working life. Therefore we’re keen to hear from others who may have more information about the conditions Andrew faced.

“While nothing can make up for the hurt and pain Rose and the rest of the family are going through, we’re determined to provide them with the answers they deserve regarding Andrew’s exposure to asbestos.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Alexandra Lausen at Irwin Mitchell on 0117 926 1554 or email