THREE men have been arrested after violence broke out in the wake of Swindon Town's play-off semi-final defeat at Port Vale last month.

And police say they haven't finished there.

Home fans flooded onto the pitch at Vale Park after their team defeated Town in a penalty shootout and secured a trip to Wembley on Thursday, May 19.

TV footage showed some appearing to attack Town players trying to walk off the field. 

Town fans in the crowd, including families with young children, told the Adver they were pelted with objects thrown by jubilant Vale supporters who ran over to confront them. 

For the last month, police have worked with the two clubs to investigate various reports of disorder and violence prior to, during, and after, the fixture.

On Wednesday three men from Stoke-on-Trent, aged 19, 28, and 39, were arrested on suspicion of wounding with intent and were taken into custody.

Detective Inspector Andy Bryan, who is leading the investigation, said: “We have reviewed hours of CCTV, bodycam and TV footage so far and look to make further arrests in coming weeks.

“There’s no place in football for this sort of behaviour and we are working closely with both clubs to help locate those responsible and we will take action against anyone found to be involved.”

The incident followed a series of other pitch invasions at grounds around the country.

Sheffield United striker Billy Sharp was headbutted by an electrical engineer after his side were beaten by Nottingham Forest, while Crystal Palace manager Patrick Viera appeared to take a swipe at an Everton fan who invaded the pitch after their Premier League match.

This sparked calls for more to be done and the FA and EFL launched investigations. 

A spokesperson for Port Vale added: “The club will not tolerate such irresponsible behaviour and we remain committed to taking the strongest possible action against anyone found guilty of being involved in criminal activities – including barring individuals from future games.

“There is no place in football for any sort of anti-social behaviour and we will continue to work closely with Staffordshire Police where possible to identify those responsible.”

Any witnesses or anyone with any relevant information is asked to contact Staffordshire Police on Facebook, Twitter, or call 101, quoting incident number 213 of May 16.