A SWINDON pensioner died of a drug overdose in an old people's home, an inquest heard.

Peter Baker, 70, had been staying at the Ashbury Lodge care home in Marlborough Road since 2002.

The father-of-four was suffering from schizophrenia and was having prescription drugs, including mood-stabilising medication, on a daily basis.

But on September 30, 2005 he was found dead in his room.

His son Kevin of Freshbrook, said his father's death had come out of the blue.

"It was a big shock and we've been waiting for answers since he died," he told the inquest.

"He had numerous health problems and suffered from depression when he split up with mum."

The inquest heard that when Mr Baker's body was examined by a pathologist it had three times the level of drugs it should have had.

PC Rachael Hardy, based at Gablecross Police Station, gave evidence at the Civic Offices yesterday.

"There were no obvious signs of malpractice," she said.

"There was no medication found in his room and nothing suspicious but everyone seemed shocked he had died suddenly."

Chris Smith, the manager of the care home, said no resident would have had access to the drug cabinet, which is locked away in a separate room.

"Tablets are given whole and the residents' GPs would prescribe the dosage," he said.

"Any change in dosage would have to come from the GP and be signed off."

Deputy Wiltshire Coroner David Ridley said he would not consider that Mr Baker killed himself.

"There is no indication based on all the evidence that he would harm himself or take his own life," he said.

Instead he recorded a narrative verdict.

He said: "There is no evidence to suggest the wrong amount of drugs were given."

And he concluded: "The intent remains unclear."