“I would have taken a bullet for Michael”.

Those are the words of Michael Jackson’s former bodyguard Matt Fiddes, who has been reflecting on his friendship with the late King of Pop on the anniversary of his death.

Sunday marks 14 years since the singer suffered a cardiac arrest caused by an overdose of propofol and benzodiazepine, dying at the age of 50 years old.

Swindon-born multi-millionaire Matt owns several martial arts schools across the world but he still holds memories of Michael dearly.

“Those who say I didn’t know him well are talking gibberish as he was my best friend,” he said.

Swindon Advertiser: Matt says that Michael Jackson was his best friend.Matt says that Michael Jackson was his best friend. (Image: Matt Fiddes)

“I was a self-made millionaire before Michael, I didn’t need him for money.

“We got on like a house on fire and we would hang out and go around shopping in Harrods, London.”

The friendship between the pair blossomed when Jackson asked Matt to become his bodyguard.

“As time went on because I’m a 6ft4 former champion, I was naturally defensive over my friend and after he lost his long-term security he couldn’t trust people anymore,” he said.

“Michael was a blackbelt in kung fu and he wanted to meet me to raise his game in martial arts skills.

Swindon Advertiser: Matt says that he and Michael Jackson would often hang out at places such as Harrods in London.Matt says that he and Michael Jackson would often hang out at places such as Harrods in London. (Image: Matt Fiddes)

“I said to him I will fly out and look after you when you need it.”

The pair helped each other out often with Matt on hand for several close security calls over the years.

“He mentally coached me on how to deal with the fame as he was famous since the age of five,” he said.

“We had a close situation at Paddington Station but when we arrived there 20 years ago the paparazzi followed us and he fainted.

“People were so in awe of him and they meant well but it was a tough call as it was all about avoiding dangerous situations and getting out of them.”

Swindon Advertiser: Matt spoke to the 'King of Pop' just two days before his death in 2009.Matt spoke to the 'King of Pop' just two days before his death in 2009. (Image: Matt Fiddes)

Jackson had agreed to do a concert residency at the O2 Arena, London in 2009 and had sold out.

Ahead of the run he called Matt in what was to be the final time they spoke as the call came just two days before the singer’s death.

“He was a complete mess, saying that the upcoming concerts were a mess and that he was getting overworked,” he said.

“He didn’t have the bodyguards around him and he was very lonely, going through hell and back as he needed the money.

“The last time I saw him, in March, he was frail and we had fish and chips together but he was just bones.”