A MAN scalded by his ex-girlfriend's mother described screaming in pain.

Steven Wade was hospitalised for eight days and left with permanent scars from the burns to his face and chest.

His skin blistered from the boiling water, poured over him by Marie Bell, a jury at Swindon Crown Court heard.

The court was told yesterday that Bell, 56, of Ramsbury Avenue, Penhill, boiled a kettle full of water, then deliberately doused sleeping Mr Wade just days after his relationship with her daughter Jemma Watts ended.

Bell denies grievous bodily harm with intent.

The court heard there was no dispute that Mr Wade's injuries were serious and grievous.

Giving evidence Mr Wade said: "I woke up at about 5.30am, by feeling water on my head. I originally thought it was just cold water, someone having a joke.

"It wasn't until I felt the burn I realised something was wrong.

"I grabbed my jumper and pulled it off and threw it on the floor. I was screaming because it really hurt.

"I looked towards the kitchen and saw Marie there with the kettle in her hand.

"I said what did you do that for? She said You know why. My Jemma.' "I went into the bathroom and looked at myself and saw my skin peeling off everywhere and at that point I realised I had to call an ambulance."

Lynne Henderson, for the prosecution, told the jury: "On the morning of August 28, 2007, the defendant tapped on the window of John Doyle's flat asking to be let in. Having been let in, the defendant said she wanted to make a cup of coffee.

"Mr Doyle said it was okay but not to wake Steven Wade who was asleep on the sofa. He then went to take the dogs outside.

"When John Doyle came back, Mr Wade was screaming in pain.

"Steven Wade had been sleeping on the sofa and was woken by a kettle full of boiling water being poured on his head and upper body. He suffered scarring and burns.

"The defendant was arrested and interviewed.

"She said she wanted to make coffee, boiled the kettle but couldn't find any clean cups. She said John Doyle then came back with the dogs.

"She said she went back towards the living room with the kettle still in her hand and tripped over the dog.

"She said it was an accident, she apologised at the time, then fled because she was scared."

The trial continues.