MAGGOTS have been discovered in wheelie bins of two householders.

Now Swindon Council is urging householders to take extra care when using their bins.

Kevin Benham, from Stratton said: “My bin has been in the garage for the last week and when I opened the lid today to put in more refuse the maggots fell out covered in yellow froth they were still crawling out after we placed a brick on the lid.

“I have poured five kettles of boiling water on the floor of my garage to kill them and around the top of the bin. I feel disgusted by the whole incident.”

Ross Noakes, from Sun Lane in Wroughton, also had a brush with maggots.

He waited three weeks for a bin collection.

He said: “It was more than three weeks before it was collected and the bin had maggots in it – it was disgusting.”

A Swindon Council spokesman said: “The female common house fly can lay 500 eggs in three days, and during the summer these can hatch within eight to twenty hours, so maggots can just as easily appear in bins or bags that are collected weekly.

“In the days of weekly collections, it was common to find maggots in waste during hot weather.

“Wheelie bin lids, if kept tightly closed, prevent flies from getting at the contents.

“It also helps to store the bin in a shady area if possible, as this reduces the chance of the contents heating up which increases the smell, which in turn attracts insects.

“If the bin does have maggots in it most will be removed when it is emptied, but maggots and eggs will be killed by boiling water.”

, so it’s advisable to wash the bin out with a mild detergent after it has been emptied.”

“However, there are simple and effective ways of preventing the problem.

“Food waste shouldn’t be left uncovered in the house, as it can attract flies to lay eggs on it before it goes into the bin, so it’s best to place it immediately in the bin, securely and preferably double-wrapped.

“Disposable nappies and pet faeces should also be double bagged and put into the bin."