SWINDON welterweight boxer Jamie Cox has been found guilty of assaulting a former soldier outside an Old Town bar.

Cox, 23, of Buckthorn Drive, Woodhall Park, had denied punching Andrew Lock causing him facial injuries near The Spot establishment in Godwin Court.

But a 12-person jury yesterday came to a majority verdict, of 10 to two, after five hours and 10 minutes of deliberating at Swindon Crown Court.

The guilty outcome comes after Cox previously admitted throwing a right-handed punch at Justin Orchard seconds before his scuffle with Mr Lock.

When he gave evidence Cox said of the punch: “I feel terrible. “I deserve everything I get from it.”

The Swindon southpaw had drunk between four and six lagers and a shot in less than an hour at The Spot on the night in question.

He was out with his brother Lance and a pal into the early hours of Sunday, December 28, 2008.

Cox told the jury of nine men and three women he became “agitated” and “frustrated” after his ex-girlfriend Carly Gallagher, 25, flirted and goaded him inside the late-night opening bar.

The court has heard how the couple – now back together – had broken up just days before the incident.

Cox said he twice went outside the venue to get away from Miss Gallagher.

It was on the second occasion the incident unfolded.

He told the court he didn’t want to injure Mr Orchard and said he used his weaker right hand to move him away. Cox also denied headbutting, punching or spitting at Mr Lock.

Cox alleged Mr Lock, who has served in the British Army for 24 years, verbally abused him, before the two men had what Cox described as a “little tussle.”

In his evidence Lock said he called out to Cox that he was a professional boxer and he shouldn’t behave in such a manner.

But Cox denied this was said, when he gave evidence.

Describing the punches he said Cox threw, Mr Lock said: “As you can appreciate with his trade they were hard.

“They were hard punches yes. They caused quite a lot of damage to the left side of my face.”

Cox, who won a Commonwealth Games gold medal in Australia in 2006, will be sentenced at Swindon Crown Court on Thursday, March 25.