BOXER Jamie Cox wants to focus on becoming a British champion after a judge handed him a suspended prison sentence and an order to pay compensation to two men he assaulted outside a Swindon bar.

The 23-year-old, of Buckthorn Drive, Woodhall Park, admitted punching Justin Orchard and was found guilty by a jury of assaulting former soldier Andrew Lock, causing him facial injuries, near The Spot, in Old Town.

Judge Euan Ambrose imposed a four-month suspended sentence for the punch on Orchard and six months for the fight with Lock during a 40-minute hearing at Swindon Crown Court yesterday.

Cox, who had been drinking before the incident unfolded on Sunday, December 28, 2008, will pay Mr Lock and Mr Orchard £500 each in compensation for their injuries.

The boxer will also pay court costs of £750 and be expected to complete a total of 250 hours of community service.

Now the Swindon southpaw intends to focus on his future, but knows if he breaches the order or commits another offence in the next two years he could face prison.

Last night, Cox told the Adver: “I just want to put this all behind me now and do what I’ve got to do.

“Boxing is my thing and I want to go and win some titles, not just for me but for Swindon as well.

“The British title has been held out long enough. This was put on hold as I can’t fight while the court case is going on.

“It has affected me in training, not just mentally but coming out for days at a time to go to court.

“It definitely won’t happen again. It was a one-off.”

Cox said he wouldn’t let his suspended sentence stop him from still going out in Swindon, but says he will not to drink in a public place.

“What do mid-20-year-old guys do? They go out on a weekend,” he said.

“I’ll still pop out but I won’t drink in a public place again. I’m not just representing myself, but my family and my sponsors. These are people who have put all their time and efforts into me.

“One slip-up is as bad as 10 slip-ups in my book. It’s good to put it to bed and come back stronger.”

Cox, who may soon start his training in America, said he hoped to complete his community service by working every Sunday for the next six months.

The court case heard how Cox had become “agitated” and “frustrated” when ex-girlfriend Carly Gallagher, 25, flirted with other men and goaded him inside the late-night bar.

The couple – now back together and engaged – broke up just days before the incident.

Cox said he twice went outside the venue in Godwin Court to get away from Miss Gallagher, but it was on the second occasion when the incident happened.

He told the court he didn’t want to injure Mr Orchard and said he used his weaker right hand to move him away. Cox also denied headbutting, punching or spitting at Mr Lock. He had alleged Mr Lock, who has served in the British Army for 24 years, verbally abused him, before the two men had what Cox described as “a little tussle.”

Cox’s future will now be decided by the British Boxing Board of Control, when he is expected to appear alongside his promoter Frank Warren, next month.