A DRUNKEN disqualified driver who fled the scene of a car crash which left his brother seriously injured has been jailed for 16 months.

Wayne Green admitted driving like a lunatic' before losing control and sending the car careering into a tree on Pinehurst Road.

And as the 25-year-old's brother, who is still in wheelchair four months later, lay trapped in the car he ran home to tell his father about the crash, adding You haven't seen me'.

Stacey Turner, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court that Green had a poor driving record and received a suspended sentence in 2004 for driving while disqualified.

He was caught behind the wheel again in September last year so was on bail and at risk of tougher sentence when the smash happened.

Miss Turner said father-of-four Green and his brother Michael had been at a friend's house drinking lager and vodka on the evening of October 6.

They then decided to go into the town centre to pick up some friends and the court was told that Michael urged his brother not to drive as they had been drinking.

But he ignored this advice. After collecting two women and a man in the Vauxhall Cavalier, Green set off back towards Pinehurst overtaking cars at 70mph in a 30mph zone.

The vehicle nearly collided with the back of a taxi near the Whitehouse Bridge before jumping a red light at the junction with Ferndale Road.

As Green drove along Pinehurst Road, with all four passengers begging him to slow down, he charged through the chicanes at more than 60mph in the face of oncoming vehicles.

"Andrew Howell, one of the passengers, describes how at the top of Pinehurst Road the car hitting the kerb and spinning out of control.

"It came to a stop when it collided with a tree," she said.

"Mr Howell said he told him to slow down 15 times and thought that the defendant was showing off.

"The defendant and the rear seat passengers were able to get out but Michael Green was trapped."

The police later spoke to Green and he was found to have 62mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath, nearly twice the legal limit of 35mg.

She said his brother spent a month in hospital and underwent reconstructive surgery on his arms and legs.

Green, of Linden Avenue, Pinehurst, admitted dangerous driving, drink driving, failing to stop after an accident and two counts of driving while disqualified and without insurance.

The court heard that he had been jailed in the past for driving while disqualified.

Rob Ross, defending said that his client had to live with the consequences of the injury he had caused to his brother.

He said that his family had supported him following the accident and his sister and mum had been looking after his children, one of whom has cerebral palsy.

Mr Ross said: "He can't really explain why what happened. He said due to his state of mind at the time, bearing in mind his partner left him several months before, he didn't stop to think about driving in the first place.

"On the drive back he said Looking back I seemed to go into a trance, my foot became heavier and heavier on the accelerator, I don't know what took over me'."

Jailing him, Judge Charles Wade said: "This is a notorious stretch of road.

"A road upon which there has been at least one fatality as a result of dangerous driving within the past 18 months and a road frankly you should have known well should not be taken at speed.

"In the opinion of this court only a custodial sentence can be justified for dangerous driving and the associated driving while disqualified."

As well as jailing him, he also disqualified him from driving for three years and ordered he pass an extended test before he gets his licence back.

Sentence gives out wrong message'

ANNE Styles, whose son Matthew was killed in an accident on Pinehurst Road in 2004, said the sentence sent out the wrong message.

She believes people who persistently flout the law on driving matters should be given longer jail terms to put others off doing the same.

"I can't believe all he has got is 16 months," she said.

"Where is the deterrent for anyone else?

"It just shows they can take a chance and if they get caught there no real punishment."

Mrs Styles said she also felt the courts had let the police down who had brought Green to justice.

"It's not the police's fault," she said.

"I feel for them. Once it's in court it's out of their hands and it's up to the judge.

"I don't know how they think of these sentences.

"He was drunk and banned and he left his brother yet he only gets 16-months.

"Until they do something to change the law people will just carry on.

"It just amazes me. It's absolutely unbelievable."

Making the road safer

WORK is underway to make Pinehurst Road a safer place.

The road is one of several streets set to be improved as part of a £500,000 facelift.

The scheme will introduce a 20mph zone in the area.

Highly-visible gateways announcing the new limit will be built at the entry points to Pinehurst on Beech Avenue, Northern Road, Pinehurst Road, Poplar Avenue, Liddington Street and Chestnut Avenue.

It will also be given new speed cushions and junction tables to physically slow down traffic.

New zebra crossings will be installed and the existing traffic calming measures on the road will be removed.