SWINDON Supermarine survived a second-half scare against Weston-super-Mare in Southern League Premier Division South on Saturday to eventually see out a 3-2 win.

First-half goals from Harry Williams, Matt Liddiard and Henry Spalding had put Marine in total control at the break at the Webbswood Stadium.

Weston came out fired up after the restart and clawed their way back into the game through a pair of penalties from Scott Laird – although the second of those was deep into stoppage time, so the hosts never really looked in danger of finishing with anything less than all three points.

Marine manager Lee Spalding felt his side were more than worthy winners based on their ruthless first-half performance.

“We started the game well. I thought we were excellent in the first half and we scored three good goals,” said Spalding.

“Going forward, we looked a real threat. We looked like scoring every time we went forward in the first half.

“We knew there would be a reaction from Weston in the second half as there was no way they would have been happy with what they had produced for 45 minutes.

“We were fully expecting them to come out and have a real go. They did that but, overall, I thought we were comfortable.

“Both penalties were very soft, in my opinion. I didn’t think the officiating was great, I thought there were a few poor decisions but it didn’t cost us in the end, so it is not so bad.

“It is done now and, overall, I thought we deserved to win based on our first-half performance and our character in the second half, which was enough to see the game out.”

Marine got off to the perfect start, breaking the deadlock after just 10 minutes when Williams reacted quickest to tuck home a loose ball after Weston keeper Luke Purnell had saved Conor McDonagh’s initial effort.

McDonagh then curled an effort over the bar as the hosts continued to dominate, and they duly went 2-0 up after half-an-our when Liddiard climbed highest to head home Henry Spalding’s corner.

The home side were grateful to the woodwork for keeping their two-goal lead intact shortly afterwards as George Dowling saw a shot from the edge of the box deflect onto the post and then bounce straight into the arms of Marine keeper Martin Horsell.

Supermarine swiftly went up the other end and their lead was three at the interval as Henry Spalding bundled home new singing Alex Henshall’s cross at the back post, with the goal awarded by the linesman despite a goalline clearance from the visitors.

Weston had the better of the second half and took just 10 minutes to reduce the deficit as Laird tucked home his first spot-kick following a handball in the box.

In truth, though, there were few genuine alarms for Marine and Laird’s second penalty in stoppage time after Ryan Jones went down softly in the box only served to flatter the visitors.