SWINDON Supermarine extended their superb unbeaten run in Southern League Premier Division South to an 11th game on Tuesday night following a battling 1-0 win at home to bottom side Dorchester Town.

Ryan Campbell’s second-half strike clinched an uninspiring contest for Lee Spalding’s side, who have now picked up 29 points from the last 33 available in a run dating back to the start of November.

They are now up to third in the table, with just leaders Chesham United and second-placed Truro City – who visit the Webbswood Stadium on Saturday – above them in the standings.

Marine mustered the first sight of goal after 10 minutes as Joe Shepherd whipped in a cross from the right. Conor McDonagh managed to get his head to the ball but sent the effort wide under pressure from Jamie Laird.

Dorchester were fearing the worst midway through the first half when a long ball over the top bounced up onto the arm of the back-pedalling Nathan Walker. Fortunately for the visitors, referee Ryan Saward deemed the offence to have taken place just outside the box.

Town keeper Shane Murphy was called into action for the first time at the resulting free-kick and dived nicely to his right to push away Michael Hopkins’ dipping effort.

The save sparked Dorchester into life and a good run forward into the Marine box by Harry Gardner was not accompanied by a finish in kind as Harry Warwick sliced at fresh air after receiving the lay-off.

Billy Lowes then stung the palms of home keeper Martin Horsell with a drive from distance before Henry Spalding sent a shot straight at Murphy at the other end.

Further good chances were at a premium as a goalless first half wound to a conclusion, although a wicked deflection almost handed Marine the lead as Jamie Edge’s free-kick from deep cannoned off a Dorchester defender before bobbling across the face of goal and wide.

Again, there was not much action of note as the second half got under way and the hour mark had arrived by the time the next real sight of goal came about as home striker McDonagh flashed a snap-shot into the side-netting.

That chance finally woke Marine into action and they broke the deadlock from their next attack as Hopkins’ neat pass split the visiting defence and Campbell pounced to drill a low first-time effort into the bottom corner of the net.

The home side had their tails up and Murphy got down well to prevent Harry Williams from making it 2-0.

Dorchester were not in a mood to roll over, though, and Lowes was inches away from an equaliser when his curling effort from distance did not quite dip enough and landed on the roof of the net.

The visitors began to get more desperate in their efforts to force an equaliser as the contest neared its conclusion and Gardner skewed a shot high and wide after a decent passage of build-up play.

Williams then almost made the points safe for Marine but could not divert Stuart Fleetwood’s low cross over the line with a desperate lunge at the back post.

That proved to be the last meaningful action and Marine wound the clock down without alarm to extend their impressive unbeaten league run.