SWINDON Supermarine booked their spot in the FA Trophy second round at the weekend after edging past Isthmian Premier League high-flyers Carshalton Athletic in a penalty shootout at the Webbswood Stadium.

Following a tight and battling 90 minutes that produced no goals, 34-year-old Martin Horsell was Marine’s hero as he produced three saves throughout a 5-4 success for Lee Spalding’s side.

As a result of their shootout win, Marine have booked a second round tie against either Bath City or Chelmsford City - both of National League South - this coming Saturday.

An even first half saw Carshalton’s debut goalkeeper, Lloyd Thomas make a number of good saves from Henry Spalding and Conor McDonagh.

The only other incident of note in the first half was when David Pratt tangled with Archie Proctor in the box and went down, but the referee did not see enough to warrant any punishment.

The second period saw the game open up a bit more with Marine having the bulk of the chances, however, Carshalton always looked dangerous in possession.

Horsell tipped away an Ottoway header early on and Henry Spalding was denied again by Thomas with Pierce Mitchell’s follow up superbly blocked by a defender.

Thomas continued to be in top form, denying McDonagh with a header before the save of the game with 15 minutes to go.

Ryan Campbell cut in from the left and hit a vicious drive but Thomas reacted quickly, diving away at full stretch to push it around the post.

The last 10 minutes saw strong pressure from the visitors but good defending from skipper Liddiard and Mitchell, along with good keeping from Horsell, ensured the game ended deadlocked at 0-0.

With no extra time ensuing, it was straight to penalties and Horsell excelled early on.

The Marine stopper, who celebrated his 34th birthday last week, used all his experience to pull off two superb saves to deny Carshalton from their first pair of efforts.

But Thomas was still the man to beat and he in turn denied the second two spot kicks from Brad Hooper and Harry Williams to level the scores at 1-1 and take it to sudden death.

Horsell pulled off another fine stop from Carshalton’s seventh spot kick before Ryan Campbell stepped up and sent Thomas the wrong way to ensure a 5-4 penalty-kick win for Supermarine.

Special praise went to both goalkeepers who enjoyed a fine afternoon between the posts, with Carshalton’s Thomas and Marine’s Horsell both contenders for the man of the match award.

Marine do not have a midweek fixture and will await the result of Tuesday’s FA Trophy first round tie between Bath and Chelmsford to see who they will travel to this coming Saturday.