POLICE last night thanked the Swindon community as they announced the grim news that two bodies had been found in the hunt for Sian O’Callaghan.

Detective Superintendent Steve Fulcher, leading the murder inquiry, pictured, was visibly moved as he said a 47-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of kidnap and two murders.

The news came hours after police seized a green taxi which was seen early on Saturday when Sian, 22, disappeared after leaving Suju in Old Town.

The Toyota Avensis estate with taxi markings was seen between 3am and 4am and midday to 9pm on Saturday between Swindon and Savernake Forest, where police have been searching.

At a press conference last night, Mr Fulcher broke the news that has left a whole town in mourning.

He said: “A 47-year-old man from Swindon is in custody, having been arrested for kidnap and two murders.

“The location of two bodies have been identified to me by this individual, one of whom has yet to be identified formally, but I am quite clear is Sian.

“I have informed Sian’s family, who are obviously deeply distressed, and I would ask you, please, to give them time and space to come to terms with what’s happened.

“The public and the media have been a fantastic help in the desperate effort to find Sian over the last few days.

“This has, of course, been a fast-paced inquiry. Having found these bodies, you will appreciate that I am under extreme pressure to undertake certain actions and procedures, and I would ask you to give me some time to enable me to recover these bodies, with the dignity and respect that they deserve.”

He said he was concerned for the family, and the effect this would have on them.

“I want to recover these people and give them the dignity they deserve.”

Police reportedly arrested the suspect outside Asda Wal-Mart at the Orbital Shopping Centre in North Swindon.

A green Toyota was also taken away on the back of a trailer.

Meanwhile, police began searching a house in Ashbury Avenue, Nythe.

A white police tent was put up in the front garden of the semi-detached house, which was cordoned off and had three police vans parked outside.

Specialist dog teams were drafted in today to help in the search for Sian after mobile phone technology pinpointed several areas of interest in the 4,500-acre forest.

Police revealed earlier this week that phone records put Sian’s mobile somewhere in the forest 34 minutes after she left Suju nightclub at 2.52am on Saturday. It was a journey that could only have been made by car, police said.

Sian, an office administrator, was caught on CCTV leaving the nightclub after an evening out with girlfriends.