LEE Spalding was delighted with the attacking prowess his Swindon Supermarine side demonstrated despite going down to a 4-1 pre-season friendly defeat to Swindon Town last Friday.

Spalding’s Southern League Premier Division side took the lead at the Webbswood Stadium, before Phil Brown’s troops came through to eventually take the spoils.

Connor McDorough was a handful for makeshift right-back James Dunne, while striker Stuart Fleetwood led the line for Marine.

Manager Spalding felt his troops were a threat going forward, which is something he has worked hard to develop from last season’s promotion-winning team.

“The game is always a great workout for the lads and I thought in the first half, we gave a really good account of ourselves,” said Spalding.

“It was good to play against opposition who are good on the ball. They move the ball really quickly and I thought we defended well.

“I thought we also carried a goal threat at the other end, which is pleasing, and you can see that improvement from last season.

“We defended well last season, but I felt at times we didn’t have that extra bit of pace or goal threat going forward.

“So, on Friday it was quite clear to see that the front three were a real handful, even for Football League opposition.

“Fitness-wise, we took a lot out of the game. I made a lot of changes which changed the balance of the team and made it difficult.

“Overall, it was great, it answered a few questions that I needed answering and I thought everyone gave a good account of themselves.”

With a number of new faces being added to the Webbswood Stadium side over the summer, Spalding says he was delighted to see them settle into the team.

“The new lads have bedded into the team really well,” he said.

“Stuart Fleetwood was a handful and gave the two centre halves a really tough game.

“Connor McDorough was excellent and showed some really good touches and Dan Williamson has good pace and attacked really well down the right.”

Marine played two further friendlies over the weekend, beating Bradford Town 4-0 before sharing a 0-0 draw with Banbury United.