A FRESH faced Swindon Town kept qualification from the group stage of the Checkatrade Trophy a realistic possibility after coasting past League One outfit Plymouth Argyle 0-3 at Home Park. 

Marc Richards, Keshi Anderson and returning Kaiyne Woolery all found the back of Kyle Letheren's net as Phil Brown's side ended their group stage campaign with six points from three matches having recorded an earlier win against Newport County. 

Town could still fall short of qualification though, with varying permutations from the group's concluding two matches meaning Town must remain patient to discover if they have done enough to book a spot in knockout stage. 

Brown made seven changes to the side that drew with Northampton Town at the County Ground on Saturday.

Jak McCourt, Ellis Iandolo and Martin Smith filled in the centre while Joe Romanski and Dion Conroy formed a back three with regular Luke Woolfenden.

Scott Twine started, as did Keshi Anderson – who watched two thirds of Town’s 1-1 draw against Northampton from the bench.

Argyle were first to threaten with four minutes played when an accurate through ball delivered by Alex Fletcher found the feet of Joel Grant.

Grant advanced into the penalty area before twisting and shooting on McCormick’s goal – Luke Woolfenden blocked the Argyle forward’s effort though as Town regained possession.

An accurate punt upfield by McCormick was then chested down by Iandolo, whose cut-out run into the box granted defender Joe Romanski with a chance to try his luck.

The teenager’s effort was hit into the side netting though before Fletcher at the other end saw his powerful effort from inside Town’s area comfortably parried by McCormick.

Fletcher continued to cause Woolfenden and Conroy problems in defence when he split the pair on 10 minutes - bursting into Town’s penalty area with only pressure from behind.

Swindon proved themselves to be resilient in defence though as Fletcher’s effort was again blocked.

Scott Twine’s right-footed effort then forced Kyle Letheren into his first save of the night as the Argyle stopper pushed Twine’s effort behind for a corner.

The visitors then took the lead on 16 minutes as Jak McCourt’s cross met the head of Marc Richards, who placed his effort low of Letheren’s reach as he could only get a gentle hand onto the 36-year-old’s effort.

It took a further 10 minutes for Swindon to record their next chance.

Ellis Iandolo delivered an accurate cross in the direction of the penalty spot which was met by the head of Scott Twine.

Twine couldn’t quite get the height required to head his effort downwards, consequently the Town youngster saw his effort sail high of Letheren’s crossbar.

Argyle were granted a way back into the game with half-an-hour played as Luke Woolfenden’s tame push halted the game 20 yards from McCormick’s net.

Conor Grant’s shot was guided wide of McCormick’s right post though.

The hosts should’ve equalised on 36 minutes when Sarcevic’s blocked shot granted Ruben Lameiras a one-on-one opportunity directly in front of goal.

Lameiras skied his shot onto McCormick’s crossbar though, to the disbelief of the home support.

Argyle were then made to pay for their missed chance as Keshi Anderson emerged unmarked on the left before slotting his right-footed strike beyond Letheren’s left reach – doubling Town’s lead.

That lead remained in tact for Town as only Tafari Moore’s cross from the right challenged Town’s defence, ending a dominant half for Phil Brown’s men.

Town’s dominance continued into the second half as Richards linked up with Knoyle before Anderson’s pass to Iandolo was crossed into the box in search of Twine.

Twine’s header crashed against Letheren’s crossbar, denying what would’ve been Town’s most aesthetically pleasing goal of the season. Antoni Sarcevic came close to halving Town’s lead moments later when he latched onto the end of a block shot, forcing McCormick to pull off a low save to his left.

Knoyle then almost scored his first goal of the season when a through ball from the middle sent Town’s improvised winger into a one-on-one with Argyle keeper Letheren at a tight angle.

The home stopper made a diving save, low to his right, to deny Knoyle before Gregg Wylde’s effort at the other end of the pitch forced a corner which Town comfortably dealt with.

Keshi Anderson’s positive display continued with 10 minutes played in the second half when he dodged both of Argyle’s centre halves before shooting marginally wide of Letheren’s left post.

Anderson turned shooter to creator moments later when his accurate and low cross on the left was met by Twine on the edge of Argyle’s six-yard box.

Unchallenged, Twine placed his effort fractionally over Letheren’s top right corner – denying the youngster what would’ve been his first senior goal in a Town shirt.

Brown then fielded Kaiyne Woolery for the first time this season on the hour mark as goalscorer Marc Richards was substituted.

Woolery was playing his first game since appearing as a second half substitute in Town’s 0-0 draw against Colchester in April.

The 23-year-old was immediately involved in the action – winning a free kick after Argyle substitute Greg Wylde and Peter Grant sandwiched the Town forward, forcing him to the floor.

From the free kick, Iandolo’s cross found the head of Conroy – who wasn’t sufficiently positioned and subsequently skied his header well over Letheren’s crossbar.

Conor Grant’s weak left-footed shot was then comfortably smuggled by McCormick as the game ticked into its concluding 10 minutes.

The game was then wrapped up with eight minutes remaining as returning Woolery smartly controlled a long ball in the area before beating Letheren for pace with his shot, stretching Town’s lead to three.

Town weren't short of chances in the concluding minutes of the game as the visitors capped their most convincing display in the competition of the season. 

Plymouth Argyle: Letheren, Edwards, Ness, Sarcevic, Lameiras (Wylde, 45’), C.Grant, J.Grant (Canavan, 65’), Moore, Smith-Brown (Dyson, 65’), A.Grant, Fletcher.

Swindon Town: McCormick, Knoyle, McCourt, Richards (Woolery, 62’), Anderson, Iandolo, Smith, Twine, Romanski, Conroy, Woolfenden.

Attendance: 1906 (136).