FAIRFORD Town boss Jody Bevan says his side were fortunate to come away with all three points in the Hellenic League Premier Division on Saturday after a wonder goal from Ben Snook snatched a 2-1 win away at Holmer Green.

Robbie James put Town 1-0 up shortly after half-time before Jamie Britnell grabbed a deserved equaliser for the home side after Fairford failed to clear a corner.

But the points would head back to Gloucestershire after Snook struck from inside his own half with three minutes remaining to lift Town up to ninth in the table.

On reflection, Bevan admitted he would have been happy to leave with a point after he felt his side took their foot off the gas once they found themselves in front.

He said: “I felt that if we got the first goal, we’d be fine, but we took our foot off the gas once we went 1-0 up.

“To be fair to Holmer, I thought they were the better team and they got a deserved equaliser and we were hanging on a bit.

“So in the circumstances, I think a draw would have been a fair result, but I think Saturday is the first time I could say we’ve got a bit lucky.

“It was a game that was evenly matched, and a draw would have been a fair result, but I’m certainly not going to knock the three points.”

Bevan was delighted with the winning goal and said his side have finally achieved a target he’s been chasing for a while.

“With five minutes to go, we were on the back foot," said Bevan.

"We conceded and then were hanging on for a point, but all of a sudden, their keeper has come out of his goal, it’s fallen to Ben Snook on the halfway line and, almost in slow motion, it’s dribbled towards the goal.

“We all thought it was going wide, but incredibly it hit the back of the net and we’re thinking ‘happy days’.

“We’re into the top half, which has been a little target of mine for the last few weeks, so we’re very happy."

All other local sides were in Supplementary Cup action, with Royal Wootton Bassett Town going down 2-1 at Flackwell Heath after extra time.

However, there was better news for Shrivenham as they were awarded a home walkover against Woodstock Town.

Division One West side Swindon New College also earned progress after a 4-2 win at Tytherington Rocks.