BURY leapfrogged Milton Keynes Dons into second place in the League Two table after storming back from a 3-1 deficit to overcome their promotion rivals in a seven-goal thriller at Gigg Lane.

Jordan Moore-Taylor fired the visitors in front early and despite Jay O'Shea's equaliser, Dons seized control through Dean Lewington and a Chris Stokes own goal either side of the interval.

Two goals in five minutes midway through the second period from Dominic Telford and Danny Mayor pulled the hosts level at 3-3, and in a rousing finale Nicky Maynard came close before Nicky Adams won it for Bury with a close-range strike in injury time.

Managerless Carlisle United saw their hopes of keeping pace with the top three shattered by a surprise 3-0 defeat at struggling Northampton Town.

A double from Jack Bridge and a third from Junior Morais gave the Cobblers their first league win in seven matches, and shattered the Cumbrians' run of six straight wins.

Jordan Green's 19th-minute effort proved enough to boost Yeovil' Towns survival prospects with a 1-0 win over promotion hopefuls Mansfield Town at the One Call Stadium.

The win was Yeovil's first in 11 games, while Mansfield's day was made worse when they had Matt Preston sent off in injury time.

Sol Campbell's Macclesfield Town also moved closer to safety with an impressive 2-0 win at Grimsby Town.

First-half goals from Tyrone Marsh and Scott Wilson were enough to end the visitors' run of three games without a win.

But the future looks bleak for bottom club Notts County who were beaten at home by fellow strugglers Cambridge United, Greg Taylor's 41st-minute header leaving the hosts six points adrift of safety.

Newport' County's hopes of building on their recent FA Cup heroics were undone by two late goals in a 3-2 defeat at Crewe Alexandra.

Second-half strikes from Antoine Semenyo and Padraig Armond looked to have given the Exiles three points as they battled back from Jordan Bowery's opener on the stroke of half time.

But Chris Butler drew Crewe level with an 88th-minute penalty and Callum Ainley grabbed the winner in injury time.

Harry Pell scored twice as Colchester United boosted their play-off prospects with a 3-0 win at Port Vale, Courtney Senior having paved the way for a comfortable win by grabbing the opener after just five minutes.

Tranmere Rovers also hit three in a 3-1 win at Cheltenham Town, with second-half goals from James Morwood, Ishmael Miller and Oliver Banks cancelling out Luke Varney's opener for the hosts.

Jimmy Ball's double saw Stevenage edge past Crawley Town, who had briefly drawn level through Dominic Poleon, while the games between Exeter City and Morecambe, and Oldham Athletic and Forest Green Rovers finished goalless.