TWO finishes that the late, and great, Danny Williams would have been proud of clicked Swindon Town's play-off charge into third gear tonight, as they defeated Forest Green Rovers 2-0 at the County Ground.

Strikers Kaiyne Woolery and Theo Robinson were on target for Town as the County Ground faithful remembered Town's legendary former manager by celebrating a win, nine days after Williams' passing was announced by the club.

It was Town's first home win of the year following failures against Exeter, Lincoln and Crawley - and Richie Wellens’ men made it fourth time lucky against a team they had failed to beat twice already this season.

After not seeing much of the ball in the first half, Town took the lead in emphatic fashion.

Former Forest Green wide-man Kaiyne Woolery cut onto his left foot and hammered a fierce effort in off the post in the 36th minute from outside the penalty area.

Likes buses, another quickly followed.

This time Robinson struck with a finish that proved he may be the missing piece in the jigsaw for Wellens.

Collecting the ball on the edge of the box, Robinson turned onto his right foot before confidently placing the ball past Lewis Ward in the Forest Green goal.

The visitors could not muster much in the way of a response in the second half, and Town held out for back to back wins to consequently move them within five points of the play-off frame.

Wellens made one change from the team that put MK Dons to the sword on Saturday with Ali Koiki slotting in at left-back instead of the injured Matt Taylor.

Kyle Knoyle came back in at right-back while Danny Rose was cruelly denied a first start at home after pulling up in the warm-up. Canice Carroll filled the void.

Toumani Diagouraga slotted onto the bench in the reshuffle with Theo Robinson starting in his home debut.

Swindon set up in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Carroll in the central defensive midfield role and Robinson as the lone striker while Rovers opted for Mark Cooper’s favoured formation, 3-5-2.

Dion Conroy had Swindon’s first real effort as he struck a free-kick from 35 yards. The centre-back forced a corner out of Lewis Ward via a heavy deflection off the wall that threatened to wrong-foot the goalkeeper.

Forest Green had a couple of threatening moments, George Williams with the best of them. A simple chip over the top nearly caught the Swindon back-line napping and Williams found himself free inside the box. If not for a vital interception by Doughty on the cutback, Rovers might have taken the lead.

But as so often has happened to them, Swindon took a surprise lead without seeing much of the ball. Kaiyne Woolery received the ball out on the right wing before cutting inside and unleashing a thunderous strike that ricocheted off the goalkeeper’s right-hand post and into the net.

And minutes before the break, home debutant Theo Robinson got in on the goalscoring too. He collected the ball on the edge of the box, twisted back onto his favoured right foot and accurately curled the ball into the bottom corner to double the home side’s lead.

A low-tempo start to the second half followed and it was 10 minutes in before either team had a shot in anger. The lively Williams collected a short corner and dribbled towards the corner of the box before sending a fierce shot towards Vigouroux’s right-hand corner.

If not for a fingertip and the bottom of the post, Rovers would have halved the deficit.

The visitors did have the ball in the net on the hour though, although the linesman’s flag denied them a first goal of the night.

A lovely whipped cross was sent in towards the head of George Williams, who headed straight at Vigouroux, before the ball squirmed over the line. Unfortunately for Cooper’s men, Doidge was adjudged to have been stood in an offside position prior to the cross coming in and it was disallowed.

That was the closest Rovers got to threatening Town's goal as Wellens' side enter a 10-day break with plenty to be positive about.