RICHIE Wellens hailed Swindon Town’s structure and resolve as they made it back-to-back wins in League Two with a 2-0 victory at home to Forest Green Rovers on Tuesday night.

Kaiyne Woolery and Theo Robinson both struck in the final 10 minutes of the first half at the Energy Check County Ground as Town followed up Saturday’s thrilling 3-2 success away at Milton Keynes Dons.

As he had done against Dons, Wellens acknowledged Town’s opponents as one of the most dangerous sides going forward in the division.

However, Swindon were robust at the back and denied Rovers any clear sights at goal until the concluding stages of the contest.

Wellens was full of praise for his troops in executing the gameplan against Forest Green to perfection as they closed the gap on the play-off places to five points.

“It was very pleasing. It was a tough game because Forest Green kept the ball very well, but they hardly ever penetrated us in the first 75 minutes,” said Wellens.

“We must have been in a good shape and our distances between people must have been very good because when I have watched them against other teams, they play good football and can cut people open.

“We know when they lose the ball, they are wide open. We set up for them to have the ball and from the goalkeeper, we wanted to press high.

“If we didn’t win it within four or five passes, we would retreat and keep good shape because we knew they would be open on the turnover.

“It happened six of seven times where we won the ball but gave it away in the first pass – we were trying to do it too soon.

“In the 38th minute, Michael Doughty won possession and took that little breath so the picture slowed down. He gave it to Theo on the half-turn, and he played out it out to Kaiyne.

“We know we have got pace and not many teams can catch us and it was a fantastic finish.

“For the next five or six minutes we were very, very good, topped off by a very good goal from Theo.”

Meanwhile, prior to kick-off teenage striker Scott Twine put pen to paper on a new contract that ties him down at Town until at least 2021.

Post-match, Wellens revealed Twine will immediately be sent on loan to League of Ireland side Waterford – also owned by Swindon chairman Lee Power – in order for the 19-year-old forward to gain valuable game time.

Wellens said added: “It’s great news for Scott. It gives a chance to help him continue his development and show he is part of our plans for the long term.

“Every club’s fans want players to play that are from the local area and it helps the affinity with the club and supporters, but he won’t get picked just for that.

“He’ll get picked on his merit and the hard work, for him, starts now.”