REDHOUSE became the first team to secure a league title in the Swindon & District League this season following their 2-2 draw with Bassett Bulldogs in Division Two.

Thanks to Redhouse’s point and second-placed Swindon AFC losing 4-3 at home to Priory Vale, Adam Ford’s side were able to lift their first-ever piece of silverware in the embryonic stages of March.

The new champions took the lead early on through Hubert Szczepaniak before letting that advantage slip prior to half-time.

However, a second-half goal from Tony McCarthy rescued a point for Redhouse and following a short wait after the game to discover Swindon AFC’s result, the celebrations could begin.

Manager Ford admitted his players were probably not at their fluent best due to the nerves that had taken hold, but was delighted his side had achieved their pre-season goal with so much time to spare.

He said: “It certainly wasn’t a classic performance from us. We weren’t able to play our usual style of football because a lot of the players knew we could win the league on Saturday. Thankfully, other results went our way.

“It’s a major milestone for the club and I’m incredibly proud of the lads for what we’ve achieved. I feel this is the first of many trophies for the club and myself.”

Discussing a season where his side have only conceded 14 goals so far, Ford says the next challenge for his players is to see out the season with a zero next to the losses column.

“Now that we’ve won the league so early, the pressure is off us,” he said. “We’ve got nothing to prove in regard to where we will finish, but the challenge that I’ve set all the players is to not lose any of our final four games.

“We want to become invincibles of Division Two, which would be quite a big moment in the club’s history.”

Elsewhere in Division Two, Spectrum moved level on points with Swindon AFC in second after their hard-fought 3-2 win over Moredon.

The win lifted Spectrum above their opponents and into third thanks to their ninth win of the campaign.

Down Ampney beat Brockhill United 3-2, while Cricklade Town Reserves edged past FC Abbeymeads 2-1 at home.

In Division One, Chiseldon ran league leaders Blunsdon close before falling to a 3-2 defeat at home.

Blunsdon have now won all but one of their league fixtures and maintained their six-point advantage over Kintbury Rangers Reserves.

Kintbury also won this weekend, sweeping aside North Swindon WMC 5-0 as they maintained their 100 per cent win record from 10 league fixtures.

Ramsbury moved on to six wins for the season after a 3-1 success over bottom side Swindon Centurians, while Wroughton Reserves and Highworth Town Development shared the points following their 2-2 draw.

Only two games went ahead in the Premier Division at the weekend, with both of the top two in action.

Ruby Removals emerged 2-1 winners over Swindon Supermarine Development, while Stratton Juniors reinforced FC Dorcan’s miserable season by consigning them to their seventh defeat of the season thanks to a 3-1 home win.