GARETH Davies said his disappointment at Shrivenham's 1-1 draw with second-placed Wantage Town in Hellenic League Premier Division shows how far they have progressed as a side this season.

Ben Cook put Wantage in front early on, however, an equalising goal from Ryan Stanners on the hour extended Shrivvy’s unbeaten record to a 14th game – 12 of which have been victories.

Manager Davies felt his side made a poor start to the game, but soon recovered and could have even won all three points late on.

He said: “It was very windy – the conditions were horrific, but in the first half, when we got the ball down and played, we were decent.

“We gave away a bit of a sloppy goal, but we were under the cosh for probably the first 30 minutes when the wind was against us.

“But I thought we defended really well and then I always thought the second half would be better for us. At no point did I think we were going to lose that game.

“That’s credit to the lads and it shows how far they’ve come from the start of the season.

“And that’s what I said to the lads afterwards. Even when we were under the cosh, we could have got more out of the game than we did.”

Davies’ men had gone on a 12-game winning run to put themselves in fifth in the table after starting the first few months of the season battling it out at the bottom.

Shrivvy showed their renewed confidence late on as they attempted to turn a deficit into an unlikely win, something Davies felt would not have happened in the first half of the season.

He said: “We kept trying to win it, but if someone would have said to me before the game that we were going to get a point against the team that is supposed to be favourites for the title, I would have taken that.

“But the longer the game went on, the more I fancied us to win it.

"Overall, I’m really pleased with a point."

Also in the Premier Division, Royal Wootton Bassett Town were beaten 2-0 by Brimscombe & Thrupp.

Malmesbury Victoria beat Kidlington Development 1-0 in Division One West, while Swindon New College were beaten 4-0 at home by Newent Town.

Elsewhere, Fairford Town were beaten 5-2 in extra time in their Supplementary Cup quarter-final away against Thornbury Town.

Fairford took the lead five minutes before half-time through Danny Gudger's penalty, however, the home side squared things up just a minute later.

Gudger restored Fairford’s lead before they were pegged back once more in the 87th minute to send the game to an extra half-hour.

Thornbury upped the tempo from there and three goals without reply secured their passage through to the semi-finals.