ADEL Gafaiti’s stoppage-time header provided a sucker-punch to Swindon Town’s League Two play-off hopes as they agonisingly missed out on a third win on the bounce following a draw at home to lowly Yeovil Town this afternoon.

Keshi Anderson’s first-half header had looked likely extend Swindon’s winning run, only for the Glovers to snatch a share of the spoils at the death.

Swindon were a cut above relegation-threatened Yeovil for large parts of the match at the Energy Check County Ground, but for all of their good play, there was a lack of spark in front of goal and they only had Anderson’s effort to show for their efforts.

To their credit, the visitors mounted a brave late rally and finally snatched a point in the first minute of stoppage time when Gaifaiti bundled home Tom James’ free-kick at the back post.

Swindon were quick out of the blocks and Yeovil goalkeeper Nathan Baxter was called into action in opening minute to gather a teasing low ball across the face of goal from Kaiyne Woolery.

The hosts were clearly keen to make an early statement of intent and, just a minute later, a good ball forward from Canice Carroll found Theo Robinson free in the box, but Gary Warren got in a timely block to shut out the on-loan striker.

Baxter was back in the action from the resulting corner, pushing aside a superb 25-yard Danny Rose volley as the midfielder pounced when the Glovers could only half-clear Kyle Bennett’s set-piece.

The game was still inside its opening five minutes when Yeovil had their first chance, although it was far from a threatening one as Sessi D’Almeida skewed an effort well wide after Dion Conroy’s clearing header fell nicely for him on the edge of the box.

Swindon were soon back on the front foot and Woolery beat Warren for pace before cutting the ball back for Robinson in box, whose shot was scuffed but cannoned off a series of bodies towards the line.

That prompted loud calls for a penalty from the home fans behind the goal, but the confusion dissipated when Baxter was able to gather the loose ball.

A clever corner routine created Swindon’s next chance midway through the half when Conroy flicked on Bennett’s delivery at the near post. Rose was there to pounce again, but the shot could not get through a crowd of bodies.

All of the purposeful play continued to come from the hosts as the half wore to a close, but they were unable to manufacture an end product.

Robinson sent a teasing ball into the box from the right that just eluded his team-mates, while a tame Woolery header from an Ali Koiki cross was comfortably gathered by Baxter after good play from Anderson.

The goal the hosts craved finally arrived in the final minute of the half when Anderson headed home from close range.

A Bennett free-kick from wide on the right was only half-cleared and promptly worked back into the box by Carroll, where Conroy laid off to centre-back partner Luke Woolfenden. His shot cannoned off a defender and onto the crossbar, where the waiting Anderson gleeful finished the job from all of two yards out.

Wellens’ side had the chance to pull further clear as they game ticked over into stoppage time as Robinson latched onto Conroy’s ball over the top. He coolly lifted a strike over the advancing Baxter, but the ball dropped agonisingly the wrong side of the post and Swindon had to make do with a one-goal cushion at the break.

Swindon picked up where they left off as the second half got under way and Woolery drilled an effort into the side-netting after another Bennett corner was not properly dealt with by Yeovil.

The Glovers were opened up again soon afterwards and Robinson raced forward before knocking the ball around the advancing Baxter, however, Adel Gafaiti recovered well to bail out his keeper with a crucial block on the goalline.

A free-kick 20 yards out just after the hour mark presented Swindon with their next chance, with Anderson successfully getting his effort up over the wall but only down onto the roof of the net.

Yeovil threatened an unlikely leveller midway through the half when Tristan Abrahams burst up the right and fizzed the ball into the box where Matt Worthington was able to gather and shoot, but Luke McCormick was positioned well to safely deal with the strike.

The visitors did have the ball in the back of the net shortly afterwards as Courtney Duffus bundled home a whipped delivery from Tom James, but Swindon’s blushes were spared by an offside flag.

Yeovil were finishing the stronger of the two sides and had their third chance in quick succession with 10 minutes to go when Alex Fisher was able to wriggle free in the box and crack in a shot, but McCormick did well to push the effort around the post.

As good as that save had been, McCormick was then equally fortunate with his next stop as he seemed to misjudge James’ driven dipping free-kick from 35 yards, which bounced just in front of the Swindon keeper before crashing into his body and spinning up away to safety.

The hosts did not heed the warnings and they were finally caught out in the opening seconds of stoppage time as Gaifaiti stooped to head home James’ free-kick at the back post to snatch Yeovil a point and suck the life out of Swindon.

SWINDON TOWN (4-3-3): McCormick; Knoyle, Woolfenden, Conroy (c), Koiki; Rose, Carroll, Bennett (Broadbent 90); Anderson (Doughty 69), Woolery, Robinson. Subs not usesd: Matthews, Broadbent, Taylor, Dunne, McCourt, Richards.

YEOVIL TOWN (4-3-3): Baxter; Mugabi, Sowunmi (c) (Gafaiti 30), Warren, Ojo; Worthington, James, D’Almeida (Fisher 52); Abrahams, Duffus (Seager 76), Dobre. Subs not used: Nelson, Gray, Rogers, John.

Referee: Thomas Bramall

Attendance: 6,645 (331 away)