BAKERS Arms ended the Swindon & District League Premier Division season in third place after a final-game victory against winless Marlborough Town Reserves.

Starting the day one place below, Bakers saw off Marlborough Reserves 4-2 at Elcot Lane to finish the season strongly and take bronze in a tightly-packed table.

Meanwhile, Stratton Juniors elected not to play their final fixture against FC Dorcan.

Dorcan were therefore handed the points and jumped above Aston Keynes to finish the season in fifth.

In Division One, Blunsdon kept up their title aspirations with a 3-0 win over Sportz Central in a hotly-contested match.

Centre-back Elliot Yarwood opened the scoring from a corner before Eliot Wheatley bagged his 38th goal of the season to make it two before half-time.

Ben Hillerby capped an excellent performance with Blunsdon’s third midway through the second half.

Sportz Central ended the game with nine men, while a plethora of yellow cards were shown to several members of each team.

Blunsdon manager Ian Rosewell felt his side could have scored more, had they been able to get on with playing football instead of being side-tracked by Central’s physical game plan.

Rosewell said: “It was a very interesting game because Sportz Central seemed more interested in trying to kick our players, as opposed to actually playing football.

“Had that not been the case, I think we would have scored two or three more. It was a very difficult game for the referee.

“We still have a chance to win the league, but in terms of goal difference, it is going to be a very tough ask.

“All we can do is win our final game on Tuesday against Wroughton by as many goals as possible and then just hope that one of Kintbury’s final two opponents can do us a favour.

“It’s been a very good season for us overall. We made the semi-final of two cups and to finish joint-top of the league is still a big achievement.

“It’d be nice to go up as champions, but ultimately, we just want to be in the Premier Division competing with the big teams.”

Kintbury Rangers Reserves stayed on course to win the title after their 3-1 win away at Ramsbury, while Highworth Town Reserves dismissed Swindon Centurians 9-0.