FOR the second time this season, Swindon Town reversed a one-goal deficit against Notts County to earn three deserved points – though there were much greater consequences for Town’s opponents today as they were relegated out of the Football League for the first time in 157 years.

Kaiyne Woolery and Theo Robinson were on target for Richie Wellens’ side as emotions swayed from the ultimate high to a bitter low in the space on 20 minutes for the 2,200 plus travelling fans.

Initially things looked good for County fans. Cambridge led against Macclesfield, and Kane Hemmings’ spot kick momentarily lifted the visitors out of the drop zone.

But Macclesfield equalised to drop County back into the bottom two, before Woolery’s effort with 69 minutes played – coupled with Robinson’s late brace – dropped Notts County out of the Football League.

Three changes were made by Wellens ahead of kick-off.

Matt Taylor, Luke Woolfenden and Jak McCourt made way for Ali Koiki, Keshi Anderson and Tom Broadbent as the hosts started 4-2-3-1.

Of the early exchanges, there wasn’t an awful amount to report – Michael Doyle’s flicked on header from a free kick was as exciting as it got.

Town burst through for their first chance of the game with nine minutes played.

The skilful Bennett fooled Jim O’Brien to send Robinson into the penalty area at an angle – his effort was underwhelmingly slashed wide of Schofield’s left reach.

Penetrating Town’s midfield was no issue for the visitors, but breaking into the penalty area was a task beyond their early capabilities.

David Vaughan struck County’s first shot with 15 minutes played – no problem for ‘keeper McCormick, who watched the ball dribble wide.

The usually dependable Bennett was left red-faced when a heavily-weighted free kick from inside the visitors’ half was punted embarrassingly out of play.

Neal Ardley made his first change soon afterwards – Shaun Brisley made way for winger Enzio Boldewijn.

And the 26-year-old should’ve made an immediate mark on the game when Rob Milsom’s accurate cross from the left met the substitute’s feet on the edge of the six-yard box.

But he fluffed his lines at the crucial moment, and Town remained level.

Additional pressure followed – Woolery had to nervously head behind Pierce Bird’s smart ball into the box from a Doyle free-kick.

At the other end, Koiki had a soft penalty shout turned down despite claims he was pushed by Mitch Rose.

Forty minutes had passed until the game’s next effort was registered. And it fell to Knoyle after a hesitant Robinson laid the ball back to Town’s advancing right-back.

Knoyle’s deflected effort was tipped over by Schofield, before the corner saw Conroy mis-hit a half-volley.

A tremendous roar from the away end – the largest the County Ground has witnessed in some weeks – then erupted as news filtered through that Cambridge had scored against Macclesfield.

That roar was matched as referee Stephen Martin blew his whistle for half-time – County knew a goal would lift them out of the bottom two.

The second half started brighter for Town, a counter attacking move granted two chances for Anderson – both were blocked – before Bennett’s effort inched over Schofield’s top left corner.

But it was the visitors who took the lead after Broadbent conceded a clumsy foul on Mackail-Smith inside the penalty area.

Top County goalscorer Hemmings made no mistake from 12-yards, sparking scenes of joy and jubilation in a bouncing Stratton Bank.

It was debatably the most celebrated goal at the County Ground all season, as Ardley’s side climbed out of the relegation zone.

County should’ve doubled their tally on the hour mark – an inswinging corner from O’Brien was met by Stubbs on the edge of Town’s six-yard box, but his touch was guided over McCormick’s crossbar.

Emotions in the away end swung once more as it emerged Macclesfield had equalised at Cambridge.

If that news didn’t come as a blow to the travelling County fans, then Woolery’s strike down the other end certainly did.

Woolery used his pace to poke the ball beyond Stubbs before calmly slotting his left-footed effort into Schofield’s bottom right corner.

Cameron McGilp was then granted the nod to make his Town debut after signing in January – the Scottish-born 21-year-old replaced Doughty, who prior to kick off collected his Swindon Advertiser Town Player of the Year award.

All hope was lost in the away end when Robinson made the most of a defensive mix-up following a long ball forward.

The Southend loanee confidently struck Town’s second into Schofield’s top left corner – placing the visitors three points short of safety.

More than 6,000 home supporters then rose from their seats to grant Matt Taylor a standing ovation as he replaced Carroll.

His appearance from the bench marked Taylor’s final outing as a professional footballer – fitting therefore that he would end his career with a win.

Robinson notched once more in stoppage time, confirming County's exit from the Football League.