SALFORD City beat Stevenage 2-0 in their first-ever Football League match.

Emmanuel Dieseruvwe's historic double gave his side a winning start in League Two in Saturday's lunchtime kick-off.

Mansfield Town came back from a two-goal deficit at half-time to secure a 2-2 draw with Newport County despite finishing the game with 10 men after Jacob Mellis' red card.

Joss Labadie put Newport ahead, before Padraig Amond scored from the spot to double his side's lead but Mansfield struck back in the second half with goals from Krystian Pearce and Danny Rose.

A Callum McFadzean double inspired Plymouth Argyle to a 3-0 win at Crewe Alexandra.

First-half goals from McFadzean and Joel Grant gave Plymouth a solid base before the former added a third in stoppage time to seal the victory.

Leyton Orient marked their return to the Football League with a 1-0 victory against Cheltenham Town.

Late manager Justin Edinburgh's last signing Josh Wright scored the only goal of the emotional game, which saw Cheltenham's Luke Varney and Rohan Ince sent off within the space of two minutes in the second half.

Grimsby Town scored two second-half goals in a 2-0 win at Morecambe.

A close-range finish from Elliott Whitehouse and an added-time effort from Max Wright was enough to give the Mariners the points.

Carlisle United held on to record a 2-1 win over 10-man Crawley Town.

Harry McKirdy put Carlisle ahead in the sixth minute and though Beryly Lubala equalised, Stefan Scougall restored the lead for Carlisle before Lewis Young was dismissed for Crawley in injury time.

Colchester United secured a point in a 1-1 draw with Port Vale, who continued their unbeaten run on opening day.

Vale have not lost on the first day of the season since 2004 and took the lead in the fifth minute through Tom Pope's penalty before Luke Norris struck back for Colchester.

Walsall got off to a winning start under new manager Darrell Clarke, with James Clarke scoring in his side's 1-0 win over Northampton Town.

Forest Green Rovers got off to a winning start, with substitute Taylor Allen firing in the only goal of the game to give his side a 1-0 victory over Oldham Athletic.

Ryan Bowman secured all three points for Exeter City with an 88th-minute strike as they ground out a 1-0 win over Macclesfield Town.

Relegated Bradford City were held to a goalless draw by 10-man Cambridge United after Liam O'Neil's dismissal.