PLYMOUTH Argyle protected their perfect record to top the League Two table following a 1-0 victory against Colchester United.

Manager Ryan Lowe, who gained promotion to League One with Bury last season before joining the relegated Pilgrims in the summer, marked his first home game in charge with a hard-fought win.

Antoni Sarcevic was the match-winner as the midfielder finished off a fine team move when he drilled into the bottom corner from the edge of the penalty area in the 57th minute.

Exeter City secured their second successive 1-0 triumph thanks to Nicky Law's 89th-minute winner at Stevenage.

Salford City suffered their first defeat in the EFL following a 2-0 loss at Crawley Town.

Bez Lubula converted a 36th-minute penalty to hand Crawley the lead before Nathan Ferguson sealed the triumph 10 minutes after the restart.

Cheltenham Town came from behind to secure an emphatic 4-1 victory against pointless Scunthorpe United.

After a goalless first half, Scunthorpe took the lead through Lee Novak but three goals in six second-half minutes from Ryan Broom, Charlie Raglan and Alex Addai turned the match on its head for Cheltenham before Conor Thomas added gloss with a stoppage-time penalty.

Morecambe spurned a two-goal advantage as 10-man Mansfield Town battled to a 2-2 draw at home.

Jim Bentley's side took an early lead through Sam Lavelle's header before Lewis Alessandra doubled their advantage when he volleyed home in the 21st minute.

Mansfield replied through Nicky Maynard when he tapped in from close range six minutes before the break, with Danny Rose's header earning their second straight draw despite Matt Preston's late red card.

Macclesfield Town recorded their first win of the season in resounding fashion as they eased past newly-promoted Leyton Orient 3-0.

Theo Archibald scored Macclesfield's first goal of the campaign on the half-hour mark to put Sol Campbell's side ahead.

Emmanuel Osadebe added a second in the 68th minute before Theo Vassell nodded in a third late on.

Chris Porter's quickfire double saw Crewe Alexandra come back to earn a hard-fought 2-1 success at Oldham Athletic, who took the lead through Christopher Missilou's second-minute opener.

Grimsby Town striker James Hanson scored against his former side Bradford City to earn a point from a 1-1 draw after James Vaughan broke the deadlock.

James Hardy scored an 86th-minute equaliser on his Walsall debut to earn a 1-1 draw against Forest Green Rovers, Port Vale and Northampton Town could not be separated at 1-1, while Cambridge United and Newport County played out a goalless draw.